What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The northern and southern purple

whats the difference between sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea and sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa . id it the color , the size , the form .

You know I was wondering the same thing. But, for what I've heard, the southern pitcher plant (s. purpurea ssp. venosa) has shorter pitchers and wider ones too, and their exterior surfaces tend to be pubescent. Also, the purpurea ssp. venosa can withstand fully direct sunlight and it doesn't need a dormancy period. Anyways, I hope that helped you in any way. That's why I'm looking for one because I live in the tropical area of the Caribean.
biggrin.gif

Sincerely,
Erick

andenes , all sarracenia can take full light and the all are pubescent , and all sarrecenia NEED dormancy . since your in the carribean you can grow your sarracenia , flytrraps ,a nd other warm temerate cps outside and when winter comes you can put the in the fridge .

Hi,

According to Donald Schnell's book 'Carnivorous Plants of The United States And Canada' (a great book) there are four differences between ssp purpurea and ssp venosa. The following are quotes out of his book :

ssp purpurea :

1. ratio of length of the pitcher tube to the width of the mouth is 3:1 or greater
2. the external pitcher surface is smooth to the touch
3. flowers are dark red to reddish purple
4. when viewed sideways as the lobes of the pitcher hood are pinched together in front, the lobes do not or just barely exceed the front edge of the mouth

ssp venosa :

1. ratio of length of the pitcher tube to the width of the mouth is 3:1 or less
2. the external pitcher surface is densely hirsute to touch
3. flowers are most often brighter red
4. the pinched hood lobes easily exceed the front edge of the pitcher mouth

I think the third point is the best to distinguish between those two plants. They both  do in fact need both a dormancy. S.purpurea ssp purpurea tollerates much deeper temperatures (in my expreience less than -20°C) than S.purpurea ssp venosa.

Christian

Back