What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Success rate

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
What is the success rate of S. purpurea seed? I am trading some of and am wondering how many seed to put in a packet.

There are many factors which will influence this. Including freshness of the seed, stratification, etc....

If everything is optimum, germination rates should be close to 100%.

I was under the impression that maximum germination was typically 90 %. Some of the seeds are not developed enough when the rest are ready.

SF

whatever the rate is, i am happy as long as i have at least one seedling
biggrin.gif
. i always thought it was 70-80% germination rate. Zongyi

10% of the seed will not be viable to start off with - these seeds will rot away once they have been sown. You will be very very lucky to 90% germination though, 60% to 70% would be average and sometimes only 20% or 30% from some seed batches.

I don't know about that. I get close to 100% germination every year. I actually observe what appears to be 100% germination, but I just assume a few don't sprout. I've lost more seedlings to arthropodic and avian attacks than to non-germination.

That is really good news:D

Back