Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good beginner pitcher plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    Yes, it is very wise to use water without high minerals, this can kill the plant. So distilled, rain, or r/o water are the ones to use. Lucky for me, I am on a well, so my water is very low in harmful minerals. S. Luecophylla is a very nice sarracenia, i have several that I keep outside all year long. Flava is another species I like alot to.
    Kevin
    Kevin Peterson
    Grosse Pointe, MI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. minor is the most southerly growing species, but every one will be suitable except purp. ssp. purp.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you keep 'em wet enough in the summer, any and all should do fine. If it's your first, I would recommend one of the available cultivars, such as dixie lace. They are vigorous growers and put up new pitchers pretty much constantly, compared to some of the species which are only at their prime for a few months out of the year. Plus, it's a pretty fine looking plant when mature and will fill up a pot in no time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! You guys are so helpful!

I don't really know if Im quite interested in hybrids....though some are quite attractive.

I've noticed that some websites sell seeds. How long does it take for pitcher plants to grow to good size?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not order some leucos from PFT? Im sure Phil will appreciate your business and the plants will be in first class condition. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could e-mail Phil and ask what all he has to sell. He has lots of plants that aren't shown on the website. He'll hook you up with some of the best. Every plant that I ever got from him has been in GREAT condition.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean right now is a good time to do so?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Personally I would wait until spring to buy any plants that need a dormancy. I have also never owned an American pitcher plant (I have lots of Australian pitcher though), I'm going to try growing S. Leucophylla, S. Minor, and S. Rubra (Wherryi) first in a whiskey barrel minibog. I think I start it in April.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast