What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VERY Unusual Leuco!

Hey,
Here is that unusual leuco I found and I promised the guys down in the plant ID forum I would post. My 'name of convenience' is Leuco. 'Pink Eye.'

leucopinkeye.jpg

OPPS! pressed the wrong key.
Here are the lids of those plants. Beautiful plant ehhh?

ENJOY!
pinkeyelids.jpg

Hey,
Wow! Thats amazing! It really does look like pink eye! Thanks for sharing!
Kevin

Hey, that's quite interesting! I wonder what gives it the red coloration....

SF

WOW... That is pretty.

Cool , did you know that there actually is a cultivar called Sarracenia Leucophylla "Pink Eye" floating around on the market . this may be it but i have'nt seen the actualy plant my self . That is a very pretty pics you showed us , thansk for sharing .

That is a very pretty leucophylla! The tops of the lids are almost solid white!

-buckeye

I just love that plant. Thanks for sharing.

I guess that is a Sarracenia moorei , but it's got more genes leucophylla than flava... but it could be 100% S. leucophylla too

WOW!

That's... neato...

No, flavas were present in this bog as it is possibly too far west for flava. I am sure this is not a pure leuco. There were alata and rubra present as well as pisttacenia and purp. My guess is it has purp. blood in it WAY back for the pink eye and rubra blood because of the hood shape. Any other thoughts?

Hi Brooks,
At what location did you find it?

Just read the last post, that looks to me an introgressed hybrid between alata and leucophylla so the red throat of alata is showing with the more dominant leuco colouring. Here is one that is similar in my own collection:
Hybrid2.JPG

These kind of planrts do add to the flavour of variation in Sarracenia.

Wow thats beutiful! Love the contrast between the pink\white!
smile.gif

I am tending to agree with Mike that it may not be 100% leuco, but rather something that's been backcrossed.  Say, for instance, something like leuco x (leuco x (leuco x (leuco x alata))))  But then again, it very well could be a pure leuco.  Definitely something worthy of registering, and getting into mass production!!!  I will be impatiently waiting.........

Hey Brooks

Really beautiful plant. Where did you say you found it? Growing in a bog near where you live?

It must be pretty amazing to stumble across such a naturally occurring beauty.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Brooks informed me that the plant was discovered near Citronelle and that area has alata present. When I visited the bog last year, there were many intermediate plants between the 2 species. It was really fascinating to see all the intergrades between them. That plant is a definate beauty.

Neato! Since the pink eye name is taken, I'd call it "strep throat!"

'Strep Throat' is also taken by an associate of mine. Drat! Any suggestions for a name? Yes, this plant was found in a bog in Citronelle, AL. Jim Miller and I visited this site back in early Sept. If you are not aware of the video Jim did on native CPs of the Gulf Coast you should look into it. I am excited as my DVD is to arrive this week. And, I was there! The reason I bring this up is I revisited this site a month and a half later and this is what I found (see attached pic). I was literally sick to my stomach when I saw this. I told Jim this is why his work is so important to at least preserve some of these plant on tape for others to see.

citronelleplowed.jpg

citronellebefore.jpg

This was one of the better bogs, you can see from Brooks' photo how impressive the fall pitchers look compared to Spring/Summer pitchers of the same bog from my trip last year:
citronellesite2002.jpeg

sleucophylla,citronelle,inscrub.jpeg

Back