What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! sarr purpurea pitchers dying!!!

Help! sarr purpurea pitchers dying!!!white fluffy things forming on crown. i think this might be the problem. how do i get rid of it? what is it? etc.
thx

Bad news. That's what happened to mine as well. It is grey mould, and an application of some fungicide ought to get rid of them, although it didn't work for me. Try Captan or something, and pluck out all dead growth.

If matters don't improve, repot the whole plant in peat/sand, since the permanently moist LFS it came in is likely to encourage the mould.

The thing is to be merciless when it comes to plucking out the dead growth. If u have to pluck out a large pitcher with white stuff at its base, do it. I didn't -- and the mould continued to spread and now my purpurea's gone.

thx,
there isnt any dead parts yet because it has just started. should i pull out the infected crowns?

Douse it with fungicide every day for a week or so and see how things progress. Dry sulphur powder might be worth a try too. Also keep it out of water for the time being and give it some air circulation.

ok thx everyone...
this is what ill be doing:
1)repot into 1 parts peat 1 part perlite
2)dont water it much
3)apply fungicide everyday on the crowns and pitchers, which fungicide should i get?
4) keep it out in the open
5)??should i give it lots of light?
thx

I think the one most commonly available locally is Captan, although it hasn't worked for me. But it's prob becos I got the concentration wrong.

One common misconception with fungicides is that they are a cure-all. Fungicides work best when used in a preventive manner. Once a fungal infection begins, fungicide may or may not be effective. The best way to prevent fungal attacks is to avoid conditions which promote their growth: warmth, moisture, stagnant air, low light levels. Since CPs like moisture and warmth (for the most part), you have to concentrate on good air circulation and sufficient light. This can be a problem even outside. I see some saprophytic fungi on the bases of some of my plants that are outside 24/7. The problem is that the growth is so thick, that the area at the base of the plant gets no air circulation and no light.

Hopefully you've caught the attack in time. As long as growth didn't seem to be affected, you may be in luck.

thx
no i bought some captan, should i use it normally(1 teaspoon/ litre) or concerntrated?

hmm it could be mealybugs... I had an out break on my plants last year and didn't treat it and it kill half of my plants.:(

what does mealy bugs look like? do they move around? will captan treat it?

Can you post a pic of the white fluffy stuff on the plant? Then I can tell you if it is mealybugs.

hey thanks for the advice everyone!
icedragon:there isnt much white fluffy stuff anymore... this is what i did:
i repotted the plant into peat moss,
i pulled out alot of the pitchers so that light can get in the crown.
i sprayed alot of captan on the crown and leaves.
it seems to be doing better... ill update
1 more thing... my sarr has a really really bad smell. Is this because of the insects decomposing?

That's good. My S. rubra ssp. rubra had like 15 growth points and now this year it was reduced back to one... *sobs* (T_T)

Back