Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cephalotus turning black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't give up on the dead crown. The thick rhizome of the ceph has a tendency of coming back after harsh times. Since you live in a warm and humid place, the ceph may be easier to grow on a windowsill, as the humidty should be fairly decent to support one there. If it is cooped up in a terria, stagnant air can disturb the growth and cause a fungal outbreak, as did happen to a few of mine. If you see the beginning of some blackening or fuzziness, dab those area with some rubbing alcohol.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't give up on it. I know someone here...I think it was RAM, had his ceph die and it came back. Maybe put it in as cool an area as you can keep it moist and see what happens.

Sorry to hear about that...I know that must have been a big blow. You should add that to the "Plant disaster" thread. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Good luck to you for the return of the plant.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they need to be of a certain size before they'll come back? Mine's pretty small [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they'll come back as long as they have a good root system . my cephalotus i got was pretty small , i once thought that growing them in shade was a good idea becaise they said it would grow faster and bigger and then the plant could then be moved to more light where the pitcher can develop a good coloration . but growing them in dense shade can be a problem as the new growth can get deformed , smaller , and weaker whcih is what happened to my plant , i moved it outdoors where it could get more light and its doing better now , it starting to make new growth points so i can't wait til it starts growing pitchers .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Goldtrap:

When it is referred as cephalotus growing bigger pitchers in the shade, it was meant partial shade, not total shade. Any plant without proper light will grow deformed and weak leaves no matter how well the temperature and humidity are controlled.

Agustin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cephalotus88 is right - I had a crown die off and a few months later I was able to get a small offshoot. That unfortunetly died, but that's another story.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12