What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has there been a general consensus?

Well, the topic says it all.  Many people have the Leucophylla with the red top from the grab bag sale.  Mine finally made a pitcher that was mature enought to tell what it was.  
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I was wondering.  What should be the correct name for this plant?

S. Leucophylla (Red top)
S. Leucophylla 'Red'
S. Leucophylla 'Willisi'
etc.

Does anyone know the proper name?

SF

If you can excuse the blurriness of this photo, here's the plant I'm talking about.

S_LeucophyllaRed.jpg

SF

I have been calling them leuco "red"

Steve

What do the guys that sold it to you say it is?

My best guess is Willisii.

I got them from PFT in the grab bag unlabeled sale, and they no longer sell the plant that was similar on their website.

SF

To the best of my knowledge, this is what was available in the fall grab bag sale:
purpurea
rubra
Judith Hindle
leucophylla Tarnok
RED leucophylla
wrigleyana

Steve

i would go with s. leucophylla ' red ' , i got the grab bag , mostly it was just s. x wrgleyana's that i got .

I believe it to be a leucophylla x 'willisii'. I also believe it is the same plant that is called 'Dana's Delight'.

Before we get too far into what we should label this plant as, do not forget that to denote a name in the single quotes 'red' would be indicating a registered cultivar. As far as I have read, this plant is not a registered cultivar, so no where in its name should a registered cultivar designation be indicated. For example, S. leucophylla 'red' would indicate to others this plant is a registered cultivar.
I would be in favor or using an x somewhere in the name to indicate it is a hybridized plant.

Agreed, and some question marks to show that the I.D. is not 100% certain.

SF

I have a quick question. What does Willisii refer to? Is it a different plant from the S. leucophylla red were are posting about? How would these names work?

S. leucophylla x willisii
or
S. x willisii

These are just ideas.

There has been lengthy discussion here and elsewhere on the confusing use (misuse) of the name willisii.

According to the ICPS Database
Sarracenia x willisii (Hort.Veitch ex ?Gordon) is a complex hybrid [((purpurea*psittacina)*(purpurea*flava))*purpurea]

The plant that is now commonly being called
S. "willisii" or S. x "willisii"
clearly has a strong influence of leucophylla, which is not a parent of the official S. x willisii.

For links to a number of photos of this confusing plant, see
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Sarracenia.html

To me the plant looks like an introgressed hybrid likely with S. rubra somewhere down the line. It could even be purpurea. There are some nice red tube examples of these in cultivation, but 'willisii' it is not!

The cultivar is a Leuco x Willisii
I've also heard it referred to as S. "Dana's Delight"

Back