Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cobra Lilly questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a bit hotter though , growers in the southeast have had problems ( schnell said it somewhere in his book ) although it does sound like the habitats are similar . water your plants frequently .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Keep it out all year? Its snowing now. Should I leave it out? I never heard of keeping a plant out like that all year.?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    snowing , cool , what are the temps when it snows , probably you should keep it outside then . in the habitat of darlingtonia , it snows often during winter and the pitchers still remain in structure . sometimes the snow even covers the whole plant .

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

I would not put any plants outside that have not been hardend off. Taking a plant from inside and putting it outside this late in the season will likely kill it. I would wait till next spring and gradually acclimate your Cobra Lily to the conditions outside. You may even be able to put it outside on warmer days during the winter, but don't forget to bring it back in when the temps drop in the evening.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    BCK
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, its around 25-45 outside. More ussually, 30-40. Would that be ok? And how would I know if it already is hardened. And what kind of temp should it be in indoors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Errr....any replies here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Hardened" as in if it's been used to that type of temperature for at least a couple of weeks to months or years. Even if you think your plant may be hardened to harsh temperatures, just the change from one location to another (i.e. store to your home) should make you wary. Think of how you would feel if someone shoved you outside into the snow all of a sudden with just your jammies on [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] .

Whenever you want to make a large change in conditions, you need to do so gradually. I'll let the experts in your area give you advice whether or not to put it outside (I live in s. california so I have no clue) but IF you were to do such a thing, I would do so over a period of weeks. For instance, say your house is lovely 70 degrees. I'd try and move the plant after a week to similar light conditions but at 60 degrees. After a week or so move it to something closer to the lights outside and a temp of 50, etc.

I hope that explains some of it to you. Oh, and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cobraboy--

I'd recommend doing an internet search on cobra lilies and learn about their natural habitat. That will give you a good idea of the conditions they need. Darlingtonia are often covered in snow in their native habitat so that kind of weather isn't problem.

Its a bit different for a plant new out of TC or a greenhouse where its used to a more protected environment. That kind of new plant would need to eased into an outdoor environment gradually, as suggested.

Don't hesitate to use the internet as a tool for gathering cultivation advice. Some of the best "growing tips" you can find is through reading about natural habitat of any CP.

Good luck...and welcome to the forums, by the way! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast