What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra Lilly questions

Well, its around 25-45 outside. More ussually, 30-40. Would that be ok? And how would I know if it already is hardened. And what kind of temp should it be in indoors???

"Hardened" as in if it's been used to that type of temperature for at least a couple of weeks to months or years. Even if you think your plant may be hardened to harsh temperatures, just the change from one location to another (i.e. store to your home) should make you wary. Think of how you would feel if someone shoved you outside into the snow all of a sudden with just your jammies on
laugh.gif

Whenever you want to make a large change in conditions, you need to do so gradually. I'll let the experts in your area give you advice whether or not to put it outside (I live in s. california so I have no clue) but IF you were to do such a thing, I would do so over a period of weeks. For instance, say your house is lovely 70 degrees. I'd try and move the plant after a week to similar light conditions but at 60 degrees. After a week or so move it to something closer to the lights outside and a temp of 50, etc.

I hope that explains some of it to you. Oh, and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
biggrin.gif

Cobraboy--

I'd recommend doing an internet search on cobra lilies and learn about their natural habitat.  That will give you a good idea of the conditions they need.  Darlingtonia are often covered in snow in their native habitat so that kind of weather isn't problem.

Its a bit different for a plant new out of TC or a greenhouse where its used to a more protected environment.  That kind of new plant would need to eased into an outdoor environment gradually, as suggested.

Don't hesitate to use the internet as a tool for gathering cultivation advice.  Some of the best "growing tips" you can find is through reading about natural habitat of any CP.

Good luck...and welcome to the forums, by the way!
biggrin.gif

Suzanne

Sorry for not responding. Thanks for all the help!

Not trying to cut corners or anything, but since streams flow through the bogs, wouldn't that mena they don't need distilled water(or could take harder water than most other CPs)

First, I should point out that not all streams flow through bogs. Those that do tend to have low nutrient levels (at least until they reach cultivated areas) because of the sphagnum peat moss which absorbs most of the nutrients as well as make it acidic. After the water has been in the stream and run over miles of soil and rocks, it begins to have more disolved minerals in it and its pH becomes less acidic. If it goes through cultivated land, it picks up fertilizers from run off. So there is a difference between the water when it's in the bog and the water once it's flowing in a stream.

BCK

Back