What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

plants not dormant

I just got some parrot plants for my birthday, and they are not in dormancy. They came from pa and the one is in a 1 gallon container and is huge. I wonder how I should handle them. I figure just let them stay inside where it is temperate
any advice would be appreciated...

mcrwt644, where do you live?  
   Your plants will require some sort of dormancy, from the sounds of how large/mature they are.  If it hasn't gotten too cold for them to adjust to the temperatures, they would be just fine to go through the winter outdoors.  

My friend who lives in Western Washinton places his S. psittacina (parrot pitcher plant) in a five gallon bucket filled with water over the winter.  This prevents the S. psittacina from drying out when it freezes.  

It is suggested that Sarracenia go through a dormancy with temperatures under 50 degrees F. However, I guess a CP grower in Hawaii has been growing Sarracenia for three years now just fine. They believe the Sarracenia are going dormant based on the shortening photoperiod.

Here is a very good article about dormancy
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....;t=6686

Back