What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New plant; bareroot

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Ok, I just got my new oreophila in the mail. I am potting it and was wondering if it would be ok to have it in strait shredded spahnum moss. I have a layer of lfs in the bottom to keep it all from coming out when I watere it. Is it ok to leave the perlite out.

Hi Wesley,
pot all your Saras in 3 parts Canadian moss peat to 1 of Perlite..

I use equal parts peat\perlite for my oreo in a clay pot.

Clay? I've always heard that that was the worst thing that you can put a cp into.

That is right Wesley, clay pots encourage algal growth. Use plastic pots..

I did an experiement with pure peat, 1:1 peat perlight and 2:1 peat perlight. 1:1 and 2:1 did the same, but the pure peat one grows 2/3 slower.

Straight peat, 2:1 peat/perlite, 2:1 peat/horticultural washed sharp sand all work for me
smile.gif

I use pure LFS. Anything wrong with that? I'm getting good growth (for winter) and color?

SF

I use "Peat and perlite" with a top dressing of live Shg good luck ! E.C

My sarrs enjoy 50/50 silica sand and peat.  This last spring, I made a new outdoor CP garden with equal parts silica sand, perlite, and peat.  It did really well.  I do recommend that you at least add something besides plain peat to aerate and losen the soil.

happy growing  
smile.gif

-Homer

My Sarracenias enjoy 50/50 peat and perlite.

My Sarracenias enjoy 50/50 peat and perlite. My plants are happy with it but I'm gonna try adding sand to it.

Ok, thanks and from the looks 50/50 peat/sand is the best choice. That is what I'm gonna go with.

I like a Peat: Perlite: Sand: LFS: Milled LFS mix. Peat: perlite also works very well for me.

Cole

Back