User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: S.leucophylla Dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello i have a S.leucophylla that i got and its about 9 inches tall and i am putting it into dormancy but am wondering about if it can take the weather here in philadelphia its about zone 6b-7 If anyone leaves theres outside all year in the state of PA let me Know. Or if you just happen to know if you live farther north.
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you give it basic protection from drying winter winds like you guys get, it should be fine
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Mike, are you saying that putting it in the garage(or shed), even with the very cold temps would probably suffice?

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could cover it with a cold frame or similar..
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A refidgerator would work, but can you imagine how quickly it would fill up, lol?
    If I had the room, a would make a frame in the garage and put a heater in it to keep the temps from getting too fridgid.

regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my S. leucophyllas outdoors in CT. I sink the pots into the ground in a sheltered spot, with ~1" of the pot above the ground. The spot I put them has an open fence on the west and a corner of the garage to the north. I cover the plants with 1 ft or more of oak leaves piled on top.

Last year we had lots of snow and, although I removed most, I discovered melting snow was refreezing in the leaves. I lost a pot of terrestrial orchids and almost lost my S. minor and some Cyps due to the suffocating mass of ice. So this year I made a lean-to of wooden trellis covered with a light colored landscape fabric to keep the snow off. I wouldn't do this much for a couple plants, but it's worth it for the number of plants I keep there.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my leuc's are fine here in n. va and we have had about 15" of snow. They are outside, with only a bit of mulch on them, I used oak leaves and pine needles. They are still growing too, I think that all of them will be ok...