Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia x excellens 'Lochness'

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the exact cross to make a Loch Ness? Savage Garden doesnt list the "ingredients"... It seems to me if it was created once it can be created again. Anyone know what it is?

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a basic Sarracenia x excellens, but a selected plant Adrian Slack made in 1963* (source from his book, insect eating plants and how to grow them) and he was offering them for sale as late as 1986 the year before he had his stroke.. There must be plants around and someone must have it... It will turn up one day I am sure..
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope Adrian is doing ok , no wonder i don't here much about him . As for the loch ness monster web cam , you'll see nothing on there , you'd have to go to the lake youself to see the real thing which is not very likely to happen . Adrian probably named the plant after the lake except of the monster because of its mysterious beauty but it really should have been named after the monster should'nt it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you describe how the plant is suppose to look like? Also isn't the flower suppose to be red?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, S. 'Loch Ness' could not be re-made, because it is a cultivar: it was(hopefully still is) a unique plant selected from many. One of its unique features had something to do with the flowers-I believe they were an unusually bright scarlet color.
    Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got adrians slack book , a bit out of date but it has tons of wonderful pics and does have inof and one of s. x 'lochness' . to tell you the truth , the plant does not look very impressive , it has dull coloring and the flowers are pale green . the pitchers are small and i can tell that there is lots of leucophylla parentages in the plant , it reminds me more of the monster then the lake . lots of white spots like leucophylla and the plant has a dome just like a regular s. x excellens . his description of this cultivar is not very convincing , i'll try to see if i can scan the pic and put it on the web so you all can see .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it ok for me to post pictures that i scanned out of a book , cuz i wanna show you guys the pic of s. x excellens ' lochness' from adrians book but with all the copyright crap i don't know if its ok . icedragon thast a really good pic , i'll probably try to contact the site and find out where the plant came from .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast