What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia x excellens 'Lochness'

Hi , s. x excellens is one of my most favorite hybrid of sarracenia but i am very curious about a cultivar of this hybrid . I looked at Peter D'amatos book , The Savage Garden ( a.k.a. The CP Bible ) and on pg. 95 its list cultivars of sarracenia , on one of the cultivars are Sarracenia x excellen 'Lochness' , it must be cool to have a cultivar named after a lake in scotland famous for an unknown creature but like the creature itself does this plant even exist ? i went through tons of search engines to find info on this cultivar and all i founf was 1 small blurry picture , a list of plant , and a grower who though he had this plant . Does anyone here have any info about this plant ? I'm guessing that it might have flowers that are greenish . I also think it is one of those unregistered cultivars that peter often tend to list in his book . I wonder who created this cultivar and what it would have to do with loch ness ?

Hi,
This plant was created by Adrian Slack. It seems to be lost in cultivation here in England and there is a photo and full description in his book 'Insect Eating Plants & How To Grow Them'.
Loch Ness is a lake in Scotland, it was not named after the 'Loch Ness monster'!
biggrin.gif

Thanks Mike , i knew there msut've been something i saw in one of slacks books about this plant . So its not named after the monster , well it would've made more sense if it was .

The monster is named after the lake!

Yes the mosnter is named after the lake , the loch ness monster is believed to be a dinsoaur called a plesiosaur that escaped the ice age and adapted to this freezing lake that extends about 22 miles. Is the any known person growing this cultivar ? Probably Mr. slack can reintroduce it back to cultivation .

But the cultivar looks like some kinda creature, so it should've been named after the monster and not the lake.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (goldtrap2690 @ Dec. 14 2003,12:00)]Is the any known person growing this cultivar ? Probably Mr. slack can reintroduce it back to cultivation .
As Mike said, it looks like this plant was lost in cultivation. As for Mr. Slack reintroducing it, that is very unlikely. You see Adrian was struck ill some years ago and as a result had to close his nursery, all his plants from there were distributed out as best they could be but not all made it. I have heard that Adrian is still growing but on a very limited scale as that is about all he can handle now.

Sarracenia 'Lochness' might be lost to cultivation, but if you have some spare time on your hands you can always spend it looking for Nessie, the monster, via one of several live web cams. eg Loch Ness Web Cam

Cheers

Vic

What is the exact cross to make a Loch Ness? Savage Garden doesnt list the "ingredients"... It seems to me if it was created once it can be created again. Anyone know what it is?

Steve

It is a basic Sarracenia x excellens, but a selected plant Adrian Slack made in 1963* (source from his book, insect eating plants and how to grow them) and he was offering them for sale as late as 1986 the year before he had his stroke.. There must be plants around and someone must have it... It will turn up one day I am sure..

Hope Adrian is doing ok , no wonder i don't here much about him . As for the loch ness monster web cam , you'll see nothing on there , you'd have to go to the lake youself to see the real thing which is not very likely to happen . Adrian probably named the plant after the lake except of the monster because of its mysterious beauty but it really should have been named after the monster should'nt it
tounge.gif

Can you describe how the plant is suppose to look like? Also isn't the flower suppose to be red?

Actually, S. 'Loch Ness' could not be re-made, because it is a cultivar: it was(hopefully still is) a unique plant selected from many. One of its unique features had something to do with the flowers-I believe they were an unusually bright scarlet color.
Trent

i got adrians slack book , a bit out of date but it has tons of wonderful pics and does have inof and one of s. x 'lochness' . to tell you the truth , the plant does not look very impressive , it has dull coloring and the flowers are pale green . the pitchers are small and i can tell that there is lots of leucophylla parentages in the plant , it reminds me more of the monster then the lake . lots of white spots like leucophylla and the plant has a dome just like a regular s. x excellens . his description of this cultivar is not very convincing , i'll try to see if i can scan the pic and put it on the web so you all can see .

is it ok for me to post pictures that i scanned out of a book , cuz i wanna show you guys the pic of s. x excellens ' lochness' from adrians book but with all the copyright crap i don't know if its ok . icedragon thast a really good pic , i'll probably try to contact the site and find out where the plant came from .

well i could 'nt find the email address of the guy who owns the plant in that pic but i did finds his itnernesting website and plan on buolding a bog soon
biggrin.gif
 he also live in the same area as i do , the san fernando valle y. anyways , here is a pic of s. x excellens ' lochness ' from adrian slacks book ' Insect eating plants and how to grow them ' :
s_x_excellens_lochness.sized.jpg

EDIT: did a resize for you.

I found his e-mail it was under his family history part of the site.

The photo in the link is not the same as the photo in the book..

It looks a fairly nice excellens cross, but I'm not sure it's worthy of cultivar status going by that photo. My normal excellens plant doesn't look very different.
This is the nicest excellens plant I've seen:
S_lucxmin.jpg

Back