Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia x excellens 'Lochness'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi , s. x excellens is one of my most favorite hybrid of sarracenia but i am very curious about a cultivar of this hybrid . I looked at Peter D'amatos book , The Savage Garden ( a.k.a. The CP Bible ) and on pg. 95 its list cultivars of sarracenia , on one of the cultivars are Sarracenia x excellen 'Lochness' , it must be cool to have a cultivar named after a lake in scotland famous for an unknown creature but like the creature itself does this plant even exist ? i went through tons of search engines to find info on this cultivar and all i founf was 1 small blurry picture , a list of plant , and a grower who though he had this plant . Does anyone here have any info about this plant ? I'm guessing that it might have flowers that are greenish . I also think it is one of those unregistered cultivars that peter often tend to list in his book . I wonder who created this cultivar and what it would have to do with loch ness ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    This plant was created by Adrian Slack. It seems to be lost in cultivation here in England and there is a photo and full description in his book 'Insect Eating Plants & How To Grow Them'.
    Loch Ness is a lake in Scotland, it was not named after the 'Loch Ness monster'![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Best Regards

Mike King

NCCPG National collection holder of Sarracenia

http://www.carnivorousplants.uk.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mike , i knew there msut've been something i saw in one of slacks books about this plant . So its not named after the monster , well it would've made more sense if it was .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The monster is named after the lake!
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the mosnter is named after the lake , the loch ness monster is believed to be a dinsoaur called a plesiosaur that escaped the ice age and adapted to this freezing lake that extends about 22 miles. Is the any known person growing this cultivar ? Probably Mr. slack can reintroduce it back to cultivation .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But the cultivar looks like some kinda creature, so it should've been named after the monster and not the lake.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (goldtrap2690 @ Dec. 14 2003,12:00)]Is the any known person growing this cultivar ? Probably Mr. slack can reintroduce it back to cultivation .
    As Mike said, it looks like this plant was lost in cultivation. As for Mr. Slack reintroducing it, that is very unlikely. You see Adrian was struck ill some years ago and as a result had to close his nursery, all his plants from there were distributed out as best they could be but not all made it. I have heard that Adrian is still growing but on a very limited scale as that is about all he can handle now.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia 'Lochness' might be lost to cultivation, but if you have some spare time on your hands you can always spend it looking for Nessie, the monster, via one of several live web cams. eg Loch Ness Web Cam

Cheers

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast