Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transplanting Cephs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all;

I could not resist to give my opinion on this matter.... Cephs are interesting and challenging to grow. I have found out that for a successful transplanting of cephs, it does not matter how much soil you take with the roots and repot it, as long as you have enough of the original soil around the roots in the new pot. I have done this at least 30 times and each time i get the same result. The worst mistake one can do is to leave it bare rooted and then transplant it into a new pot, the cephs will start dying in no more than 2 weeks after the transplant, of course the plant will grow back again, but it may take 2-4 months depending on the growing conditions.

Agustin

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Agustin. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] Once the holidays settle down, I might attempt this tranfer.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WooHoo!!!!

Today I noticed some tiny green leaves coming up around 3 of my Ceph cuttings I did back in mid October. I'm keeping my eye on the others.

Just a year ago I never imagined I would even own a Ceph! Thanks to fellow NECPS members John Phillip (for my first one leaf plant) and Jeff Matheson (for his tips).

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CONGRATS!! Now if you're looking for a home to trade them to.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So might I ask what everyone is growing their Cephs in?
    Peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm growing mine in peat/sphag/sand/burnt oak leaves in about a 6in pot.

Cole

Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dared to repot mine this winter break. It's in peat/sand with a bit of spag at the bottom.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read that many who have seen Cephalotus on the field find the the plants colonizing disturbed sites, and some speculate that root disturbance might actually be "good" for them. Like anything, it may be variable by clone. In my own experience, I've divided and transplanted without too much adverse effect, except for the annoying die-back and die-off I seem to experience with my Cephs no matter what I'm doing with them!
    Growing CP since 1975. Succeeding (more or less) since 1990.

Sarracenia & Heliamphora Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast