What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Depot pitcher plants

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have some S. rubra, mostly those rescued from Home Depot - at least I think they are rubra. Even though I have been able to reverse their fate and elicit new growth, they're hoods tend to turn brown. Why is that? Is rubra what they bring in as opposed to alata or something else? I go by the pictures I see but cannot always tell the difference between an immature plant or a highly stressed out plant or the beautiful pictures in Savage Garden, etc...

probably humidity, but I dont know much about sarrs

Perhaps they want to go dormant? What kind of a photoperiod are you keeping them on? Water?
rock.gif

Since they were purchased / rescued this fall, the advice I have been given is to forego dormancy this year. They are currently residing on top of a refrigerator, next to an eastern facing window, open tray, in a former plastic pretzel container, with the lid loosely placed on it. It receives lab water (deioinized) and the temp is ~68 degrees. They are producingnew leaves, but most of the mature leaves brown on the hood.

I just saved a 3 inch pot of Rubra from Lowe's toady as well (And not a moment too soon. Mold had just started to take hold on some of the dead patches on the leaves. A thorough application of some neem spray has hopefully saved it's little life). Is this small enough to allow me to forgo dormancy this year?

From what I've gleaned from the forums (fora?), the general rule of thumb is that these plants, those from tissue culture, that normally require dormancy, purchased recently, either don't need or shouldn't be put through dormancy this winter. But next winter - definitely.

I've found that S. rubra can turn brown at the top sometimes. I don't fully understand why but I've found giving them less water can help. Let the saucer dry out for a few days before refilling it.

Back