What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long Sarracenia seeds survive?

Hi.
I got interested about CP's again, and I sowed many Sarracenia, Drosera, Dionae, Pinguicula and fe Nepenthes seeds.
I am specially interested about Sarracenias, my seeds are maybe 7 months old, some of them I have kept in fridge, and some of them have been in my dry seedbox. Do you think they will sprout? Right now they have really good lightning and high humid.
smile.gif

Hi,

You will have no problems with seven month old seeds. I successfully germinated some, that were more than five years old last year. The most important thing is to stratify them for 6 to 8 weeks before sowing.

Christian

Can you put them on the soil and put them in maybe 35-50F weather for a week, and then bring them in and put them in normal temps, humidity, on a southeast facing window? Also how close can you sow them together?

You will probably get some seeds to germinate doing that, but it won't be a high percentage. They need a cold/wet stratification period of at least 4 weeks to get a high rate of germination. What works best for me is to keep them in the fridge, then plant them outside mid/late Feb. By the time it warms up, they will be ready to go. I guess this wouldn't work if you lived in Florida or Arizona or someplace warm though.

Another thing about seeds: scientists have been able to germinate seeds that were 100's of years old. As long as seed is kept dry, they will last a long, long time.

so I can plant them in their medium, keep it damp, make it cold around 40-50F for four weeks, then keep them warm and humid till they sprout? Does that sound right?

Sounds good. It can go even colder than that if you want.

really? My febuary temps are from about 10-45F. And sometimes lower is this safe? Also can I have them on my windowsill which get direct morning to late afternoon light? Do they have to be really humid? What kind of airfliw do they need? I am asking because I have a bunch of seed and I want a good survival rate.

I've got mine in the fridge, surrounded by a ziplock freezer bag with air blown in it so it stays puffy. I have .5" water in the tray underneath it. I open it up once a week, check the water level and put some fresh air in it. If you have some fungicide add a little in to prevent mold. That's what I've been told works, I'm in California so I'm going to plant them outside and see how they germinate.

ok, thanks

I had 5 year old seed sprout... 2 out of 300 seeds, but it still sprouted
smile.gif
... the nep seed might be dead though, I hear they don't last long like the northern plants.

cool, I wonder what the max age for the seed is?

probubly varries a little. But I think mine was about as old as it gets.

Schnel states if north american cp seed are kept cool and dry they will still be viable after 5-7 years! If you sow your seeds on lfs be sure to keep it from over growing the seedlings.....I lost most of my s.rubra ssp.gulfensis that way!
sad.gif

what is the best medium for doing it on?

Jiffy 7 peat pellots are my favoret, they are easy to rince free of all nutrients and fit in the microwave for serolization. I put mine in the little jiffy 7 plant starter green house box thingy you can get with them and about 1 inch of water
smile.gif

ok, thanks.

I am about to set some seeds out. How much light should they get during stratification, and should they get direct sun?

To germinate your seeds I suggest a bit of bottom heat and PLENTY of good airflow, otherwise you'll have a lovely tray of mold and grey Botrytris to gaze upon.
smile.gif
Keep moisture plentiful and light decent. Seeds themselves do not need sunlight but seedlings do.
wink.gif

Wesley, If you stratify them in your refrigerator for 6 to 8weeks, they get no light to speak of at all. The main thing as was specified to you is soil warmth. Bottom heat is something that can be applied to many plants in mid- February, and they will start growing, coming out of dormancy. It can be as low as 40 degress outside, but if the bottom heat is on all the time, and your rhizomes don't get cold, sarracenias will grow even then. Soil warmth is important in more ways than one. NEVER let them miss dormancy!!

And by the way, Dean Cook has had them last refrigerated for 8 years.

Back