User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long Sarracenia seeds survive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.
    I got interested about CP's again, and I sowed many Sarracenia, Drosera, Dionae, Pinguicula and fe Nepenthes seeds.
    I am specially interested about Sarracenias, my seeds are maybe 7 months old, some of them I have kept in fridge, and some of them have been in my dry seedbox. Do you think they will sprout? Right now they have really good lightning and high humid. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You will have no problems with seven month old seeds. I successfully germinated some, that were more than five years old last year. The most important thing is to stratify them for 6 to 8 weeks before sowing.

Christian

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you put them on the soil and put them in maybe 35-50F weather for a week, and then bring them in and put them in normal temps, humidity, on a southeast facing window? Also how close can you sow them together?
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will probably get some seeds to germinate doing that, but it won't be a high percentage. They need a cold/wet stratification period of at least 4 weeks to get a high rate of germination. What works best for me is to keep them in the fridge, then plant them outside mid/late Feb. By the time it warms up, they will be ready to go. I guess this wouldn't work if you lived in Florida or Arizona or someplace warm though.

Another thing about seeds: scientists have been able to germinate seeds that were 100's of years old. As long as seed is kept dry, they will last a long, long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so I can plant them in their medium, keep it damp, make it cold around 40-50F for four weeks, then keep them warm and humid till they sprout? Does that sound right?
    ~Wes~

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good. It can go even colder than that if you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really? My febuary temps are from about 10-45F. And sometimes lower is this safe? Also can I have them on my windowsill which get direct morning to late afternoon light? Do they have to be really humid? What kind of airfliw do they need? I am asking because I have a bunch of seed and I want a good survival rate.
    ~Wes~

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got mine in the fridge, surrounded by a ziplock freezer bag with air blown in it so it stays puffy. I have .5" water in the tray underneath it. I open it up once a week, check the water level and put some fresh air in it. If you have some fungicide add a little in to prevent mold. That's what I've been told works, I'm in California so I'm going to plant them outside and see how they germinate.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast