User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long Sarracenia seeds survive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.
    I got interested about CP's again, and I sowed many Sarracenia, Drosera, Dionae, Pinguicula and fe Nepenthes seeds.
    I am specially interested about Sarracenias, my seeds are maybe 7 months old, some of them I have kept in fridge, and some of them have been in my dry seedbox. Do you think they will sprout? Right now they have really good lightning and high humid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You will have no problems with seven month old seeds. I successfully germinated some, that were more than five years old last year. The most important thing is to stratify them for 6 to 8 weeks before sowing.

Christian

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you put them on the soil and put them in maybe 35-50F weather for a week, and then bring them in and put them in normal temps, humidity, on a southeast facing window? Also how close can you sow them together?
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will probably get some seeds to germinate doing that, but it won't be a high percentage. They need a cold/wet stratification period of at least 4 weeks to get a high rate of germination. What works best for me is to keep them in the fridge, then plant them outside mid/late Feb. By the time it warms up, they will be ready to go. I guess this wouldn't work if you lived in Florida or Arizona or someplace warm though.

Another thing about seeds: scientists have been able to germinate seeds that were 100's of years old. As long as seed is kept dry, they will last a long, long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so I can plant them in their medium, keep it damp, make it cold around 40-50F for four weeks, then keep them warm and humid till they sprout? Does that sound right?
    ~Wes~

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good. It can go even colder than that if you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really? My febuary temps are from about 10-45F. And sometimes lower is this safe? Also can I have them on my windowsill which get direct morning to late afternoon light? Do they have to be really humid? What kind of airfliw do they need? I am asking because I have a bunch of seed and I want a good survival rate.
    ~Wes~

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got mine in the fridge, surrounded by a ziplock freezer bag with air blown in it so it stays puffy. I have .5" water in the tray underneath it. I open it up once a week, check the water level and put some fresh air in it. If you have some fungicide add a little in to prevent mold. That's what I've been told works, I'm in California so I'm going to plant them outside and see how they germinate.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast