What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heliamphora heteradoxa

Hi,

I have 1 sunpitcher, h. heteradoxa. Its small with juvenile pitchers only. Anyway, now its in a terrarium with good temps, but its over a foot from the lights. (2 compact flourescents). Is this ok? It also gets some (little) indirect sun during the day. anyone who grows heteradoxa have any tips?

What are your temps? It should be fine with the lighting. Just don't let the pot get overheated. Mine is about a foot from the grow-lights, and is starting to color nicely(Iv'e only had in there for a few days). The temps during the day are at it higest in the lower 80sF and lowest in the 70sF. At night the temps get down to about 60-64F. The are on for about 12hrs. in the winter and will be geting about 16 hrs. in the summer.

well. . . the temps are generally in the 60's, a little higher in the day probably, like low 70's

I've got a juvenile heli heterodoxa x minor growing in the 60's. Its doing fine, it enjoys the cool temps so I think your plant will do well. I grow it with my orchids.

That sounds good.  They like day temps to be between 60 and 80 with the extreme of 90, and night temps 45 and 60 with extreme low of 35.  They also like high humidity and good air ciculation.  Mine is also quite small but I will stil put a pic of it.  Iv'e had it a while but it has not had a chance to do well as I was not giving it the best of conditions until I put it into my terr.

Heliemphora.jpg
Heliemphora2.jpg

Oh, and they don't like to be sitting in water all the time. They also like cool overhead watering instead of being watered in the tray.

Now its closer to the light, on a jar. I suppose I could water it with refridgerated water. Thanks

Properly illuminated, Heliamphora should have some red coloration at the tips of the leaves.

I actually got it in a red condition, and I mean a deep red, marooon like. But I supppose this could be because they were all juvenile pitchers. The big h. heteradoxa nearby was green. or maybe it was a different one. I didn't have it mailed, I got it when I visited CC, but it fell
sad.gif
on the way back. maybe it'll start looking better soon. On a brighter side, the byblis liniflora is looking good. (good thing it wasn't in the paper bag with the h. heteradoxa when it fell)

droseradude,
Here is the heterodoxa x minor I originally got from CC:
H.%20heterodoxa%20x%20minor%201.JPG

Capslock

Man, can't wit till mine looks like that.

heres some more calif. carnivores pics.

IMG_0853.jpg

below is my sunpitcher, its probably worse now.

IMG_1023.jpg

these are ones on display

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

Wonderful photos...I want to know how the heck Peter grows that Sphagnum! Does anyone know the secret??

The moss in his show plants is always SO THICK!! Maybe it is a new/different variety of spaghnum?

SF

No, I think he figured out the secret to growing it. He even sells it from his showroom. I'm sure part of it is that the climate at his place is conducive, but whatever it is, he certainly has it wired!

I'm endlessly jealous of his new facility, which is awesome!!!

Capslock

I think the trick is to let it get quite cool at night. It does great in my outdoor bogs and CP pots probably because it gets dormancy. Maybe it's NZ moss or somethin. Another good way to ensure cultivation of it successfully is water overhead with cool to cold water and have it well aeration.

About Peter's sphagnum. It would be best to ask him directly, but my guess is that it is the species that grows abundantly in the boggy areas in northwestern California. Here is what it looks like at my place.
H_ionasii461.JPG

It grows very easily. The downside is that it can quickly overgrow small plants.

Ive got some that Ive grown from spores and such I had it for about 3 months and it is more green than not now. I'll get a pic up soon

It's the species. I happen to know that spiecies and it tried to eat my flytraps so I ripped it all away and replaced it with some lighter fluffier species I had pop up recently wich are much better for my little plants. Incedently, that proticular kind of sphagnum grows in really think tightly woven matts all over north america. I never see it sparce in the wild, always in giant clumps thretoning to over run everything in it's way, but usually with an orchid or a sundew sticking out of it. LOL. It's funny, I don't know any of the scientific names to these things, but I spend so much time stairing at them with my plants I've gotten a good feel for the common ones.

Anyhow, if you want to get a good batch of it started, get yourself one of those peat pellots from Jiffy. Jiffy 7 I think is what they are called. Treat it like you would for seedling cps by letting it expand in water and then sqeazing it back into a pellot and repeating till the water is clear. Then microwave it on high till it steams a whole lot. After it cools, wrap it in LFS or stick spoor capsles on it and then set in a container with a clear lid and about 1 inch standing water. Set in high light and cool temps and sit back and wait a few weeks for the baby phase to pass and the adult form to start growing. Pull chunks off as needed from the now rapidly expanding pile of pure sphagnum
smile.gif
Or, as those photos sugest, let pile reach large size, relocate to pot and put big plant in it, lol.

Seriously though, the little peat pile in the middle makes all the difference in the world for getting a collony started.

So you almost need to put a bog in a pot. Have a peat base with the spahgnum on top correct?

Back