What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cephalotus soil

Does anyone know a good cephalotus soil that you have been useing on your plants and had succesful results?

Cephalotus do best in a mix of one part peat to two parts sand or perlite also! Long-Fibered sphagnum moss and pertite with orhid bark is excellent too! Make sure to get a deep pot for Cephalotus their root's need alot of room i use plastic containers its best for them but also do well in terra-cotta pots they can breath more throght it well good luck
smile.gif
E.C

For my different ceph plants, I grow them in a soil mix of perlite, lava rock, sand, and peat moss. I dont really measure, i just make sure it is moslty peat and perlite, with the other additives added in.

also , heres a tip on getting bigger and faster growing plants , it's true that this plant does not like root disturbance yet if you grow it in a pot small enough so that the roots get root bound ( cramped ) then the plant might produce bigger pitcher , same goes with the venus flytrap , for faster and bigger growing plants , grow your cephs in partial shade and when yuor plant reach a good side you can move them to full sun to get coloration although i prefer mines the green color . its also said that when potting your cephalotus its a good idea to make a small hill of soil and plant your plants on there , for some mysterious reason the plants benifit from it . for more info go to http://www.cephalotus.info/ .

good luck

I have my Cephs in long fiber sphagnum.  I used to mix in perlite & coir, but don't anymore.  They're in tall 2" wide clear plastic pots and I'm about to move them into 16 oz. (I think) plastic Pepsi bottles.  I cut up a few bottles for Phrag. orchids and think they'll also be perfect for Cephs.  I cut the tops off where the sides begin to taper and cut big drainage/ventilation holes around the bottom.  I put a few packing peanuts in the bottom for the Phrags and will probably do the same for the Cephs.  I don't keep them in water, so that's OK.

I use 50/50 peat sand and my Ceph's seem very happy
smile.gif

I usually grow about 10 ceph plants in one large pot, and i still see differences in size. Perhaps the root bound ceph in small pots may enhance pitcher size, but if you grow a pygmy ceph no matter how root-bound it is, it'll still be small.

I usually use 1 part peat moss, 1 part sand, 1 part perlite, mixed with 1 part chopped LFS covered by a layer of pure sphagnum moss. The cephs love humidity provided by the surface layer.

Gus

Back