What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thought I'd Warm You Up

Don't these pitchers look hot!?! It's 5 below zero F here and the Sarracenia in the cellar are as frozen as I am. I feel like if I just stretched my hands out over these plants I'd feel some heat. The photos are in natural sunlight. They really were this color! I love this cultivar! The pitchers are slightly pubescent, and it is a very low growing form. I look forward to hopefully seeing the flowers this spring. I highly recommend this plant.

Sarracenia_Cobras_Nest_072303_5.sized.jpg

Sarracenia_Cobras_Nest_072303_1.sized.jpg

cool ,v ery nice tamlin , i can't wait to recieve my plant .

I have been looking for a source of S. 'Cobra's Nest.' Anyone know of one?

i know of a source for Sarracenia 'Cobra's Nest' , pm for the website.

<span style='color:red'>Edit: format of cultivar name.</span>

Wow, that looks like a northern purp but less chunky and more red. Cool! I want one!

Wow...beautiful plant...awsome color. Thats a really nice cultivar...yet another one to add to the "want" list.

Thanks for sharing the photo.
smile.gif

can i ask what is its parentage? thanks. Zongyi

Boy, it does look ON FIRE!! Thanks Tamlin!

SF

the parentage of this plant is unknown , james booman , the creator of the hybrid told me its some F10 hybrid .

Something tells me it has S. purpurea purpurea x S. alata (pubescent form) in it's geneology.

heres what james booman emailed me a while ago when i asked him about the plant :
Dear Carnivorous Plant Lover:

We have patented this Sarracenia hybrid because it has unique horticultural characteristics that make it easier to grow for many people. It has LESS dormancy requirement than wild species, and it holds its leaf color well through the winter. It also branches very freely. The leaves are strong and seldom fall over, thanks to the dwarf size, about a foot tall, and the hoods over the traps which repel irrigation and rain. Under heated greenhouse conditions, our plants continue to grow year around. They burst into heavy new growth in March, just as the other Sarracenia do. Some S. purpurea have this same growth habit. I suspect ‘Cobra Nest’ got these qualities from that species, in earlier crosses during its development.

Parentage: The parentage is not rubra x purpurea. It is an F10 or higher cross, with such mixed blood, that we cannot tell you the exact parentage.

About wetness and dryness: it is less fussy than some wild species. It can be grown with normal moisture, as most house plants are grown.

Availability: From time to time ************* has these plants available for sale in 3” pots. Check that site periodically.

Best Regards

Marco James Booman, owner

Booman Floral

so if your nursery or local lowes or home depot carries plants from booman floral and they have sarracenia then you might be able to find this cultivar or you can pm me for a few good sources . Tamlin , where did you get your plant from ?

Wow! What a beautiful plant William! I wonder if you ever get to a point where your "want list" isn't larger than your "grow list"??
biggrin.gif
Man, I sure hope so!! (Not that I can complain... thanks to all that have helped my collection grow!
Andrew

Cool tamlin! That sounds realy neat!
smile.gif

Yay , i got my plant today , heres a pic of it
s_x_cobra_nest.sized.jpg

I love this plant , can't wait til it makes more pitchers .

Back