Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cephalotus growing down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My theory is the clear pot allowed it to happen. I found the new plant about 3" below the surface of the growing media. It was a narrow pot, so I assume a growth point on the rhizome saw more light from the side than from above. So it followed the light until it bumped into the side of the pot. I wonder whether the rhizome in a wider pot would spread less vertically and more horizontally. But I don't like disturbing them as much as it would take to learn the answer.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point is that the clear pot did not make the baby plants grow down. As clearly the plant in the black pot did the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What plant in a black pot?

It's certainly possible Cephs routinely send out growths at some depth. In a clear, narrow pot, the growth would see light and starts leaves while still, say, 3" down. In the real world or another kind of pot, the growth would turn upwards seeking light. If a plantlet did try to form 3" down in a black pot, no one would know unless the plant were repotted before the new growth died. But I don't think leaf growth would be triggered without enough light.

The mother plant is in a 4" (dark) pot now and I'll be watching to see if new growth centers appear out in the periphery. Ceph suburban sprawl, of sorts. I've always kept them in cramped pots, so I've never seen it. Lots of plants spread that way, which is why I find red raspberries popping up way beyond the raspberry patch and why I'm wondering how I'm going to rein in the Jerusalem Artichokes I planted last year.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ceph in black pot.... ----> http://necps.org/images....son.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. As I said, I'm going from personal experience and am waiting to see what happens with the one I put in a wider pot.
    Bruce in CT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (IceDragon @ Feb. 10 2004,22:10)]My point is that the clear pot did not make the baby plants grow down. As clearly the plant in the black pot did the same.
    o_O Okay, let me try this again, no plant grows baby plants down. What happens is when a portion of a root(which grows down) accidentilly fineds sunlight, it assumes it's made a mistake or has poped out a cliff edge and starts producing plantlets. It doesn't matter if it is from a clear side of a pot, or the roots sticking out the bottom of a black pot. Both are the same trigger. In the case mentioned in the thred, yes the clear walls caused this because it let the plant see light underground. In the case of your black pot example, the lack of transplant before the roots pop through the drainage holes caused the oddity. Hopefully I've stated it clearly enough this time so everyone gets my meaning [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] lol.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12