Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus growing down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had two Cephs in tall, clear plastic pots and I noticed a new growth inside one of the pots, near the bottom. It was almost 3" below the rest of the plant. It was pretty cramped in there, so I used this as an excuse to move the mother to a larger pot and start a new plant. I've been growing Cephs for a few years but put them in clear pots for the first time last spring. Has anyone else seen this happen?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cephalotus plants I grow have done that once per plant. It seems the thick rhizome of the original plant decided to pop another plant up, but do to the vertical growth of the plant do to the pot, the plantlet happened to grow down south. I noticed this while repotting a crammped specimen; i just kinda cut off the plantlet (along with 1" of rhizome it was attached to) and potted it in a small pot of same soil. Grew just fine for me.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >_< LUCKY!
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lately, I've been keeping them in narrow (2") pots and I divide them when they fill the pot. Because of this, I put the mother plant in a 4" pot so it'll send the plants north instead of south. Zach - Were yours also in clear plastic when they did it?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They actually were in clear, plastic drinking cups. (I ran out of pots, so i just use cups.) After thinking about it, can the growth be due to light shining into the root space, triggering a growth? Confuzeling huh lol?-Zach
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what&#39;s not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I don't think that's the reason...
    http://necps.org/images....son.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (cephalotus88 @ Feb. 08 2004,18:19)]They actually were in clear, plastic drinking cups. (I ran out of pots, so i just use cups.) After thinking about it, can the growth be due to light shining into the root space, triggering a growth? Confuzeling huh lol?-Zach
    I assumed that was already the point of the topic, lol. Probubly is the light, a lot of plant will make a plantlit is you pull a root to the surfice of the pot [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (IceDragon @ Feb. 08 2004,22:35)]Hmm, I don't think that's the reason...
    http://necps.org/images....son.jpg
    o_O I don't see your point. It's the same thing, the roots poke out the bottom and hit light so they make leaves. I've seen this in tons of speicies, all overgrown with roots pokeing out the bottom [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    My Grow List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast