Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia flowering!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I while I was observing and pampering my plants in my terrarium I discovered a stalk with a light green bulb of top of it coming out from the center of my only Sarraccenia, which I instantly realised it to be a flower stalk. ()
    I, in my excitement, was trying to stop msyself from curiously poking the poor flower, when it suddenly dawned upon me that I have never had any experience in having one of my carnivorous plants flower before. So, before I start panicking, I would like to ask some questions concerning sarracenia flowering.

Does the Sarracenia species self pollinate, or does my plant have to go through cross pollination to produce healthy seeds, with fertile offspring?

I really want to get my Sarracenia to produce seeds so that I can return the favour to the many people who have helped me in this forum.

So, should I:

1) Pollinate the flower myself using any tools I can find.

2) Take the pollen carefully out of the flower, store it for future use, like to pollinate my future flower stalks, when my future sarracenia, or sarracenia(s) send up flower stalks.

3) Leave the fower alone and let the sarracenias pollinate itself.

Also, how long will my sarracenia take to produce fresh and ripe seeds?

How long do sarracenia seeds take to germinate, and are there any conditions such as stratification that I need to use for sarracenia seed germination?

Will my sarracenia be unhealthy and weak after seed production, like in the case of the venus flytrap?

Also could you direct me to any sites I might find useful, (while I spend the next day or so reading the whole internet's worth on the subject of sarracenia flowering) any books which I can read to gain infomation from (although "the savage garden is very hard to find here in singapore, I could try to order it, however by that time my sarracenia flower will be "beyond blooming" or rotting due to no pollination of the flower. Any other sources like help from anybody in this forum will be greatly apperciated, as I have done in the past.

Now I'll just go and poke at my sarracenia flower once again...
    It is sooooo cute! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks,
    Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jason,

Sarracenias can self pollinate, but this is discouraged as it cuts down on genetic variation and disease resistance in seedlings.

Sarracenia pollen normally lasts for several weeks, but since you don't have other plants already showing stalks, it probably won't be viable once you get a chance to use it.

My suggestion: If you know what variety your plant is, you can offer the pollen for trade. Other sarracenia growers may have plants flowering at the same time and they might be able to trade.

If a sarracenia pod has been sucessfully pollinated, it will swell somewhat and after several months turn brown. I usually harvest when the old flower stalk starts to dry. Seeds need to be stratified for 4-6 weeks. If your refrigerator space is limited, sow the seeds on the center of a paper towel, fold it up, and stick it in a baggie in the fridge. What is easier is to sow the seeds in a pot with chopped sphagnum on the surface (to prevent fungal attacks), and store that in a baggie in the refrigerator. Seeds take about 2-4, often more, weeks to sprout.

Enjoy your first sarracenia bloom!
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool , i've never had a sarracenia flower for me , opnly once and that was alogn time ago and the stalk and plant died before it ever flowered do good luck with it . Right now it looks like my S. oreophila is going to flower so i can't wait , by the way , what is the species of your plant that is going to flwoer ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldtrap,

I'm not quite sure of what exact species is my sarracenia, all I know is that the sarracenia is all green in colour (not having or producing any red pitchers) , not very tall, and displays all the features of a sarracenia ("veins", tiny hairs on the underside of the leaf, and thin forming baby pitchers). Is there a "typical" version, or species of sarracenia, because I think my sarracenia could be one of a "typical" form.

Thanks for all the info! (and the encouragement!) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason,

What exactly do you mean with "veins"? If the pitchers are all green, what color are the veins? Are the pitchers just a few inches tall, curved and stocky? Is the plant mature? Do you have a picture?

This sort of info would help in indentification.

Thanks,
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Peter,
    No the pitchers are not stalky, actually kind of flimsy, but yes, they are curved.
    The veins are not of any actual colour, just kind of like a darker green string imbeded in the leaf. Hard to explain...I'll see whether I can get a photo. Have to find my digital camera first... How do you tell whether the plant is mature or not?

Thanks,
    Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are nine (9) species of species of sarracenia. there is no 'typical' form, like the flytrap. most species have several sub species too

Sarracenia rubra
    Sarracenia alata
    Sarracenia flava
    Sarracenia Leucophylla
    Sarracenia oreophylla
    Sarracenia purpurea
    Sarraceina minor
    Sarracenia psittacina

And there are thousands of variations, subspecies and crosses [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    I have a detailed post on how to self pollinate flowers, let me see if i can find it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a pollination guide that I have bookmarked incase my plants decide to flower.

http://www.cpukforum.co.uk/cgi-bin....others=

SF

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast