Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S. Oreophila - Inefficient?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. oreophila is in peak condition very early in the year and perhaps there are less insects around in spring rather than summer/autumn.

Romanowski also says that S. purpurea is a poor catcher, but mine in the garden fills up very quickly, mostly with flies.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Mar. 03 2004,07:37)]S. oreophila is in peak condition very early in the year and perhaps there are less insects around in spring rather than summer/autumn.

Romanowski also says that S. purpurea is a poor catcher, but mine in the garden fills up very quickly, mostly with flies.
    I find that the newer pitchers on my S.purpurea tend to catch more than the old ones. The new ones seem to be quite attractive to wasps in particular. I think its interesting that so many books comment on how ineffective a bug catcher it is. I just dont see this in my mature plant stood outside in Northern England.

S.pupurea never catching anything seems to be another cp myth.

MOG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed Mogster. All my plants do well living outdoors, and catch insects in abundance. S. oreophila with its shorter growing season, catches like crazy in late spring, and gets more than its share of food. My leucos beat the field however, with my alata's and flavas a tight second. The rest of the plants definitely get their share, including my rubra complex (all 5), and the purps as well. As long as they eat, it doesn't matter to me who eats the most.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yet another comment!
    My Oreo was huge last year and I'd say it did medium-well in the capture department. My Leuco was collapsing due to overload however. there is certainly no shortage of house flies or wasps where I live (on a farm) so I was surprised that Oreo was such a lame contender. Though I haven't seen any earwigs around! My Purp is the lamest of the bunch, or maybe the Parrot - which isn't really in the same category anyways. Anyways those are my thoughts!
    MAtt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

How do you measure efficiency in catching insects?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How full the pitchers are
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first oreophylla pitcher opened 2 days ago...

The pitcher is now 1/3 the way full Time to get some cotton swabs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alvin,

1) what if different plants trap different types of insects and it just so happen that the right type of insects are available for that type of pitcher plant?

2)to determine efficiency. you not only have to measure the size of the catch, but also the resources the plant has used in producing the traps. Have you done that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast