Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you like best?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man Sean -

That's rough! I wish you could come to one of our NECPS meetings or our show in October. It seemed like EVERYONE who visited last year's show walked away with plants. We had 2 excellent vendors, our member Dr. Ken with tissue culture flasks, AND CPs donated by NECPS members. Where in Canada are you?

Back favorites... I love my Cephs, Darlingtonia, and Sarracenia. My favorite would have to be S. leucophylla. Last summer at a gardener's market table that I sold plants at, I was explaining to a woman how the pitcher plants catch insects. As I spoke, one of the S. leucos attracted and caught a large wasp as the woman gasped in amazement. I just got a S. leuco "red tube" this week and I can't wait to see how it looks later this summer. Last year I accidentally snapped off the one pitcher of my S. leuco "titan" just days before the NECPS show. Arrghhh!

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi WildBill,

Thanks for the understanding... I spoke to one of our local growers and importers who is a member and former board member of the local CP club.
    While they do supply a decent variety of CP's they are smaller than some trades I have received and let's not even compare them to plants for postage I have recieved. The prices they sell for are steep in my opinion but then if it's all you can get Whadda ya do.

I am always happy to trade other plants I have for CP's. I hybridize and propagate Tropical waterlilies and it just seemed that Bog gardening with CP's was a natural progression of what I was already doing with Aquatics. I usually have a small surplus of rare or hard to find Tropical waterlilies.

I am on the West Coast of Canada in Vancouver British Columbia, Zone 8B. We are a humid climate being costal with tons of rain and the temps rarely if ever drop below freezing which makes us wonderful candidates for most CP's. In the summer we never get too hot which is beneficial for most CP's as well.

There are dozens of natural peat bogs in my area where people grow Cranberries and Blueberries. In these natural peat bogs grow a few native drocera, (don't remember the species) . I grow my own live Sphagnum from a single sprig of Sphagnum I harvested from a local bog a few years ago. I know it's not nice to take live plants but I have produced hundreds of individual plants from one sprig so I have done nothing to deplete the species.

Cheers,
    Sean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, I forgot about darlingtonia californica. Like Agustin, I think sarrs are kinda "common" because its not like (at least in the U.S.) you walk into lowes and buy cephs and heliamphora tatei tatei.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine usee to be Darlingtonia but i like sarracenia alot more now and they are my most fvorite cp of all [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

My favorite is the Cephalotus because it's the only pitcher plant I have, they have the coolest name, and they're small and cute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true, true [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] thats why I don't like giant forms of cephalotus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I like Sarracenia the best, then Heliamphora. This is subject to change, of course [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia, followed by Heliamphorias, I haven't tried anything else YET.
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast