User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late to repot my pitchers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pic warren
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Based on a pic of flava I saw at another site, I don't think it's that either. I'll have to check out the sites that BobZ has pointed out. I may post another pic, showing a better view of a mature leaf.

I like your interest list pond boy. (Shouldn't that be "eatin' ramen noodles"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I've been thinking about the distilled water. You all must use lots of distilled water! Does it get to be expensive? I will probably post this question later in general discussion or the appropriate place.

I work at a wafer fabrication facility where DI water is easy to come by, but people will probably start asking questions if they see me carting out jugs of water out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warren:
    It sounds like you were not made aware of the importance of pure water concerning CP's when you were given your pitcher plants.
    The general concensus is that the water your plants are exposed to should have as few dissolved mineral salts as possible. If you stick to water that is less than 100 p.p.m of dissolved solids, you'll be safe. Some people are able to use tap water for their plants -it all depends on the area. You can get your water tested for Total Dissolved Solids.

I still use distilled water for my indoor plants. It's cheap and I don't go through much of it. I just save the empty jugs and return to the supermarket to one of those "refill stations" and refill them with DISTILLED or REVERSE OSMOSIS water (not drinking water). The water is about 30-some cents per gallon. Personally, I can afford to spend $4 every other week for ten gallons of water for my lovely plants. If I needed to worry about that kind of money... well then I'd quit smoking, because that costs a heck of a lot more than water.

As you may have noticed, you don't really really totally absolutley NEED distilled water... some people have plants that are grown with hard water and the plants seem to do "fine." There are some people who are SUPER TWEAKY about using ONLY distilled water. Sometimes that seems like overkill, though... You needn't be a "water Nazi" or anything to that effect.
    However, I guarantee you that your plants will be much happier with "pure water." Additionally, you run the *risk* of slowly killing your plants if you use non-pure water.

My CP bog garden is in the line of fire of my underground sprinklers. These sprinklers use the hard, icky city water. Sometimes it bothers me that the bog garden is getting a healthy dose of gross city water every other day. However, there is little I can do about that. Sprinklers sprinkle, the water gets into my bog... oh well, life goes on. The PRIMARY water supplied to my bog garden is RO water. I feel that this is sufficient compensation for the non-torrential dousing that it receives from the sprinklers -the garden also gets doused by rain water farily regularly, that serves to flush the soil of the city water. .

By now you may have already discovered this, but I just feel like stressing the importance of the water's purity.

Most of us CP'ers use either
    a: distilled water
    b: Reverse-Osmosis purified water
    c: rain water

The general concensus is that using distilled water is best, and RO water is a close second (a reverse-osmosis purifier is the cat's meow of water purifiers for people who have moderate-large collections). Rain water is acceptable as well (yes, the rain water in some areas is by no means pure, but the odds are that it is more pure than your tap water). Others have used "alternative sources" like dehumidifiers. Dehumidifier water is OK -I used it for a little while a few years ago and my plants were fine.
    Sometimes I use "Brita" water on a few of my plants if it's an emergency.
    Mineral water or drinking water is not a good idea. Think about it "MINERAL water." Bottled drinking water usually has added salt for taste, so stay away.

Good luck
    -trevor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Trevor. I really didn't have an idea as to the cost of purified water. 30-40 cents per gallon doesn't sound too bad I guess. But I did read of some people who needed 2-3gallons per day. With outdoor cp's (pretty much where mine will be) I'd guess you need more water. Now I don't know how many square feet of planting these people had. One person was in Georgia with 90-100 deg temps in the summer... I guess I might eventually like to have 10-20sq ft of cp's?

I'm basically a lazy person. One appeal of water gardening (with a pond) is that you don't have to worry about watering the plants. I thought I could just have my cp's sitting on a pond shelf and I could relax. Too bad for me, it seems that a real bog garden is going to require more attention. Like going out and watering pretty much every day in the summer.

Warren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warren,
    I just transfered a mess of my sarracenias from pots to a bog. Most of these plants are starting to pitcher and have flower buds. Some were in large community pots and had to be torn apart in order to replant them. I will keep you posted as to their progress. We can all learn.
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S.O.,

I'm definitely interested to hear about your bog construction. I was at the library yesterday and picked up Swindell's 'Water Garden Encyclopedia,' as it had some information about bog construction, plus a bunch of pretty pictures. After I got it home and started reading though, I realized he was not writing about true acid bogs. He says that a richly organic soil is ideal for the bog garden...so much for that.

Warren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Warren @ Mar. 25 2004,8:56)]Thanks all. Based on a pic of flava I saw at another site, I don't think it's that either. I'll have to check out the sites that BobZ has pointed out. I may post another pic, showing a better view of a mature leaf.

I like your interest list pond boy. (Shouldn't that be "eatin' ramen noodles"
    Lol
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast