What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil gnats - should i worry about them?

Will the gnats or their larva hurt my plans, my D.adelae can't keep up.

They can if they get too bad. But any at all is too bad in my book. My plants all have drosera and pinguicula in with them for gnat control, and it is working just fine. You can try malathion spray to kill them, but go easy with just a spritz. I do not know if orthene would have any effect, but you can try that as it is systemic and will become a part of your plants killing anything trying a taste of your babies.

I don`t have a problem with them they feed my Utrics and Drosera:D

Sarracenia don't really mind them, I just find that VFTs can have problems if there are too many.

Ugh, those things are fragin annoying! They shouldn't pose a threat tho, it'll just anoy the crap out of you when you go to pick up the plant and all these little flying things swarm you... lol

I was told that if you put a layer of perlite over your soil that it disturbs their nesting and they leave haven't tried it yet though.

Back