Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus not growing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you think it would do well in my front window because it seems the light is brighter then the grow light i have so i could move it there. the only thing is do you think it will get to hot in that plastic square case? thats what worrys me . the light isnt bright enough to give a nepenthes sunburn but my back window is . But i dont put neps in there.
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

Cephs won't mind getting bright light and heat, as long as they don't get it for more than 3-4 hours per day. If you worry too much about heat, spray them with water to cool them off. Remember that if you give them more light, they get nice colour, but the pitcher will be relatively smaller. If you give them little light the pitchers get huge but remain green, so you'll need to find a way to get a balance between the two.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of grow light is it under? Can you move it closer to the light? I think this would be a better option than putting the container where it might get cooked by direct sunlight.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony is right. Cephs(along with Mexican pings) are phenomenal growlight plants. In my past , one shoplight with two 40W bulbs(cool white) on a ten-gallon tank was enough to have pitchers maroon in color. And this is with no reflective material.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny thing it looks like pitchers that just shot up from the middle of the plant they look like pitchers .will post pictures if i do.
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

Just remember, that cephalotus are not VFT's. They grow very slowly, but surely if you keep them under high humidity, not waterlogged conditions and adecuate lighting.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gus,

Would high humidity risk grey mould on the leafs? would it upkeep be less if we drop humidity but also reduce the risk of mould?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My tri-clone planter

A few things i want to comment on:
    * I don't recommend spraying your plants with water, as was recommended. An excellent ceph grower i know said he avoids getting the plants wet, or they rot
    * Cephs can be very slow and always erratic growers. I bought one more than two years ago, and it remained less than quarter-sized (the entire plant) for a long while. It recently suddenly exploded in size. It's the one in the end of the planter (noticeably bigger than a quarter) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    * Cephs seem to vary from plant to plant on what kind of leaves they produce. I hadn't seen a 'normal' leaf until i bought the german giant clone on the other end of the planter... my first plant never produced anything but pitchers. Since then, it has produced leaves. It seems to be somewhat seasonal, but not entirely.
    * Cephs like a very open soil if you can keep them damp. The Hummer's Giant plant in the middle was even bigger when i got it, a truly magnificent plant

Another pic (click)
    http://necps.org/images....top.jpg

It was planted in live sphagnum. Then, i found out the hard way that live sphagnum dries out very fast when such a large plant is growing in it...

When i moved my original plant into the planter with a looser soil is when it really took off.

* These grow under ordinary fluorescent grow lights

* The size of the planter lets me keep it damp without it drying out too much between waterings- don't keep it wet. This planter has a built-in drainage tray (I water from the top- carefully).

* It seems to be beneficial to occasionally carefully pull off all the completely dead and dried up leaves and traps (those that come off easily), to make room for new ones. BE CAREFUL

* Finally, humidity is generally a good thing, but be careful or you'll rot the plant. As long as there is some air movement, you probably can't go wrong, but if you see signs of rot, decrease it immediately.

* I almost never feed my plants. Maybe they'd grow faster if i did. I believe that the aforementioned grower uses a bit of fertilizer (i'll have to verify that), but i don't think i want to risk it.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast