Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus not growing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cephalotus that I received a little over a month ago, and within that time I've transplanted it *2* times.

I did this because I thought my first mix of 45% peat, 45% sand & 10% perlite was not good enough for it.

It was growing non carnivorous leaves, but very slowly. I also remembered that the sphagnum moss around it's roots was not removed and I find that it dries up quite quickly, so I repotted it.

It's now in a nice airy mix of 85% washed perlite & 15% peat, and I also removed the sphagnum from its roots before planting.

I use a self watering pot, this pot keeps the soil moist, not wet, with no effort at all. The pot receives strong daylight only, not sunlight or flourescent lights, and there is a plastic [ modified softdrink bottle ] over the plant for high humidity.

My cephalotus is growing quite fast now, it's non carnivorous leaf production went through the roof and the plant is an emerald green in color. The leaves are also quite fleshy and a few new crowns are rising.

No new pitchers yet, I don't expect any after such a short time. It also dropped many of its existing pitchers due to my transplanting of it.

I strongly believe that cephs survive repotting better in colder months, this is the month when I transplanted it twice. And they do not like their pots being moved around much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice pictures
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had my ceph for two years now, it grew pretty slow for the first six months but then took off. I would say its growing faster then I thought it would. My growing conditions are 50% peat 50% perlite, My plant is in a terrarium with a glass cover and a 15watt grow light flo.bulb. I only water it by misting from a spray bottle(at night before the lights go off), it never sits in standing water. I believe mine is growing well is because night time temps go down into the high 40's to low 50's every night before rising during the day, it seems to like that. hope this helps, Jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rocklizard:

High humidity does not exclude good aeration. Besides, cephs would grow mould around them when their roots are stressed due to overwatering.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gus:

Is this aeration in the soil or aeration in the air (u know what I mean). If it's the latter, then that would work against humidity?

I think I should grow cephs again. Had a very nice pot 10 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grow mine in my highland Nepenthes chamber which gets auto misted once a day. It seems to enjoy it, but is still a tiny German Giant TC plant, so all it does is produce more pitchers on its two crowns. No growth spurts as of yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

P.S. D muscipula, if you could PM me the information for where you got the Hummer's Giant, and for how much, that would be great! Thanks! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok my ceph really started growing but today it was in the 90's here and its in my room which is not air conditioned and the thermometer said it was a 100 in my room today . which i think is a little hot for a ceph. Should i put it with my cobra lilys on my kitchen window wher its airconditioned and the location probably keeps at about 80 during the day. But there is really strong sun and my ceph is growing under a floresence light. what should i do [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rocklizard:

When i mentioned the word aeration, i meant good air flow. Dont' forget that the humidity does not need to be 100%, with a good 70-80% would do.

Gus

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast