What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus not growing

here is a picture of my cephalotus it has nt shown much growth for a while and no pitchers. I was wondering if i should move it too my windowsill which isnt strong light but there is light. i have them under grow lights exept i dont know if its good enough.
cephalotus.jpg

It looks like a healthy plant to me. However we have no way of drawing any conclusions about its growth rate from one picture alone.

If you don't mind me asking did you get yours from Dean Cook? (looks like it from the soil/pot). I got one from him too in december and its growing alot and pitchering. (posted a topic about it a few days ago). I think he told me grow it with pretty high humidity, almost dry soil, and bright light, which I tried and now its working. How How much did you water it?
Like rocklizard said, it does look healthy...
smile.gif

looks good. but it also looks like it needs:

1. faster draining soil
2. wetter soil
3. a bigger pot
smile.gif

huh? wetter soil? I think cephs like it pretty dry. Is the soil just barely damp? If so then that is good.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (droseradude @ May 02 2004,11:53)]huh? wetter soil? I think cephs like it pretty dry. Is the soil just barely damp? If so then that is good.
Yea, but look at the pot. The soil is so dry its compressing (you can see to the bottom of the pot almost, on the sides)
I water mine every day, but they dont sit in a tray :0 Its also in a 8 inch pot.

at first, cephalotus dont put out pitchers but later on in the growing season, the tips of the leaves will swell up and pitchers will form
hope that helps,
Hellz

I believe that you are thinking of nepenthes. Cephalotus leaves and pitchers are two totally different things...
wink.gif
laugh.gif

ah but it makes those "buds" that do take a long time to form pitchers, although they aren't at the end of leaves lol
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ May 02 2004,9:55)]i read it from The Savage Garden
Did... They say that they form vegatative (just regular ol leaves) and carnivorous pitchers. Two totally different things
tounge.gif

-_-
i gotta read bettr
ok ur right im wrong
newb 4evr
tounge.gif

Ok drosera dude yes i did get it from dean cook. I seen your post and i thought the same about yours cause he uses that same soil. I bought mine in december too! But yours has pitchers on it. I keep mine in the plastic square thing with a lid on it and the soil is moist but i always check the soil and it never seems to dry out probably because its in a sealed container. Spectibilis do you think it needs a bigger pot? Also i was thinking somewhat what Hellz dungeon said that it usually pitchers later in the spring. I also have the Savage garden but it doesnt have a big section on cephalotus.

Cephalotus like high humidity, that is true. I use the tray method, but I let the tray go empty berore re-filling.
My soil mix is 40% milled sphagnum, %40 perlite, %10 peat, %10 silica sand. I use grow lights and that works fine.

Regards,

Joe

Yes, I would move up to a larger pot. I have a 1 1/2- 2 inch diameter plant, and its in a 6-7 inch pot
smile.gif
I used the soil mix form the savage garden (I think)

You don't need a bigger pot.. Cephs need deep pots but they don't have to be huge in diameter as long as there is some room around the edges for underground runners to emerge.
What you do need:
1. Brighter light. It appears the leaves are big and 'floppy'
2. lots and lots of patience. Cephs can sit there showing no signs of growing for months and months at a time.

Tony

do you think it would do well in my front window because it seems the light is brighter then the grow light i have so i could move it there. the only thing is do you think it will get to hot in that plastic square case? thats what worrys me . the light isnt bright enough to give a nepenthes sunburn but my back window is . But i dont put neps in there.

Hi all:

Cephs won't mind getting bright light and heat, as long as they don't get it for more than 3-4 hours per day. If you worry too much about heat, spray them with water to cool them off. Remember that if you give them more light, they get nice colour, but the pitcher will be relatively smaller. If you give them little light the pitchers get huge but remain green, so you'll need to find a way to get a balance between the two.

Gus

What kind of grow light is it under? Can you move it closer to the light? I think this would be a better option than putting the container where it might get cooked by direct sunlight.
Tony

Tony is right. Cephs(along with Mexican pings) are phenomenal growlight plants. In my past , one shoplight with two 40W bulbs(cool white) on a ten-gallon tank was enough to have pitchers maroon in color. And this is with no reflective material.

Regards,

Joe

Back