Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cobra lily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember Jim, the colder the water running over the rhizome, the better your Darlingtonia will respond. The fattest, healthiest Darlingtonia I have seen in the California mountains, lived in a stream of water from snow melt runoff. The plants were huge, the water temp and rhizome temp about 50- 55 degrees F. They love a cold rhizome.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greenis, you won't have to feed your plants [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] . They will do just fine without bugs as they do produce food by photosynthesis like any other plant. Bugs do provide additional nutrition to help the plant grow better but they won't die without them.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    BCK
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, bugs are just sort of a snackie for the plant, but I've heard that in most cps it really does, some more than in others (and in some cps that it is ABSOLUTELY essential, like in baby D.hartmeyorum seedlings, gonna be hard to catch fruitflies for all of that ones...otherwise the seedlings won't grow) It says on Ivan Snyder's webbyhere
    plus forbes gives info 'bout feeding these seedlingshere

Sorry for the off topic, but that's still some useful info!

You can water your plants with ice water to cool the roots, or use a peltier junction (thermoelectric cooler), topic
    here

I'm no Darlingtonia expert (hoping to get 1 soon), but from what I've heard, you've got to keep their roots cool. Go ask an expert. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use room temperature (generally cooler water being it is inside a fairly cool room) for the watering. I keep the little guy (the first one in about ten that I have sucessfully 'raised') in its 3" cup inside its clear lid and water it that way. I tried ice cubes on the one I had last year, and it killed it. they are picky and a bit frustrating (at least for me) to grow. I can see that this is going to be a good plant though. I got it from lowe's back in dormancy about six months ago, and just kinda let it be. It has one pitcher about 6" and two more growing...ahhh, live and learn. Good thing lowe's has that return policy for plants for a year!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12