Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus seedlings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is realy cool![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow...awsome photo and yes that is a cute lil' seedling!

What's interesting is that those "bristles" are found in each stage of life...seed, sprout, juvenile and adult plant. Very interesting. I wonder if the bristles on the seeds served the purpose to stick in animal fur and get transported around...

Thanks for sharing such a rare sight! Beautiful.

Bob...you are da man when it comes to photos!

Suzanne

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob:

I just want to congratulate you. Beautiful seedling!. I just wanted to ask you how many seeds did you sow to get that seedling or did you get more?. I look forward to your reply.
    Thanks

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow!!!!!!! Thats neat i have never seen a baby ceph before. Great job
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gus,
    I do not know how many seeds I planted. I used whatever came out of the flower spike. I planted them in a 4-inch pot and got a number of seedlings. As I mentioned earlier, I never expected anything to germinate, so I did not keep good notes of seed number. I really should count the seedlings, but I think there are more than 10. The seedlings are really tiny and easy to miss without a magnifying glass and good lighting. I read that the seedlings are susceptible to damping-off, so I don't know how many seed germinated and then died. The seedlings that I can see appear to be healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bob for your reply.

I planted 40 seeds about March 15th and just a week ago, i had what i believe are 2 seedlings. By the way, i skipped the stratification altogether. As soon as they get a bit bigger, i'll make the final identification. Maybe most of them died and only 2 survived, since the seeds were fresh for starters. If these seedlings are in fact cephalotus, then stratification is not necessary, but a good way to store ceph seeds.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gus,
    I carefully counted and mapped the location of the seedlings in the pot today. There are 11. One of those seedlings appear to have germinated recently because that plant has only two cotyledons. I will watch them more closely now to see if any die or newly germinate.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ May 21 2004,6:02)] I wonder if the bristles on the seeds served the purpose to stick in animal fur and get transported around...
    I don't know if you have ever seen these seeds in life or not... But, they are very light, and fly away with a slight breeze. I would think that is what those are for, to catch air current and fly... then when it hits something wet, they soak up water, get heavy and begin to grow there. (Where water is) that is how those terrible "dandy lions" do it in your yard.. you know the ones.. that you pick and blow the white things and they fly everywhere? hehe
    Andrew
    (that's my guess anyway!!)
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast