What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus seedlings

The first photo was taken on 29 March 04 shortly after germination. In the second photo, taken on 18 May 04 (50 days later), the seedlings have added a leaf with bristles and a juvenile trap.
Cephalotus_seedling1321.JPG

Cephalotus_seedling1892.JPG

Wow Bob, NICE JOB!!!!  Now that's a green thumb if i've ever seen one.

Was the seed really fresh upon sowing? Is the substrate just LFS?

Not too shabby!
wow.gif

I've never seen a ceph sprout before. Great pictures!
Peter

Great job Bob! I have some of those stratting in the fridge right now.
smile.gif
Hope I have success also!
Andrew

I am glad you had good luck with your seed. I was not so lucky. Those are some great photos, thanks for sharing
smile.gif

How CUTE! Great job, Bob! Really nice photos, too.

That is without doubt, the cutest seedling I have ever seen.
Well done, Bob!

Cheers,

Joe

Wow...awsome photo and yes that is a cute lil' seedling!

What's interesting is that those "bristles" are found in each stage of life...seed, sprout, juvenile and adult plant. Very interesting. I wonder if the bristles on the seeds served the purpose to stick in animal fur and get transported around...

Thanks for sharing such a rare sight!  Beautiful.

Bob...you are da man when it comes to photos!

Suzanne

Hi Bob:

I just want to congratulate you. Beautiful seedling!. I just wanted to ask you how many seeds did you sow to get that seedling or did you get more?. I look forward to your reply.
Thanks

Gus

wow!!!!!!! Thats neat i have never seen a baby ceph before. Great job

Gus,
I do not know how many seeds I planted. I used whatever came out of the flower spike. I planted them in a 4-inch pot and got a number of seedlings. As I mentioned earlier, I never expected anything to germinate, so I did not keep good notes of seed number. I really should count the seedlings, but I think there are more than 10. The seedlings are really tiny and easy to miss without a magnifying glass and good lighting. I read that the seedlings are susceptible to damping-off, so I don't know how many seed germinated and then died. The seedlings that I can see appear to be healthy.

Thanks Bob for your reply.

I planted 40 seeds about March 15th and just a week ago, i had what i believe are 2 seedlings. By the way, i skipped the stratification altogether. As soon as they get a bit bigger, i'll make the final identification. Maybe most of them died and only 2 survived, since the seeds were fresh for starters. If these seedlings are in fact cephalotus, then stratification is not necessary, but a good way to store ceph seeds.

Gus

Gus,
I carefully counted and mapped the location of the seedlings in the pot today. There are 11. One of those seedlings appear to have germinated recently because that plant has only two cotyledons. I will watch them more closely now to see if any die or newly germinate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ May 21 2004,6:02)] I wonder if the bristles on the seeds served the purpose to stick in animal fur and get transported around...
I don't know if you have ever seen these seeds in life or not...  But, they are very light, and fly away with a slight breeze.  I would think that is what those are for, to catch air current and fly...   then when it hits something wet, they soak up water, get heavy and begin to grow there.  (Where water is) that is how those terrible "dandy lions" do it in your yard..  you know the ones..   that you pick and blow the white things and they fly everywhere?  hehe
Andrew
(that's my guess anyway!!)

Hi adnedarn:

The theories of self-transportation of most seeds are indeed very valid. However, in the case of the cephs, the geographic location of their habitat makes it almost impossible to spread to other parts of Australia. For some reason, they are only found in the Southwestern portion of Australia. I am afraid that if their natural habitat disappears for whatever reasons, only those grown under artificial conditions would be left for us to admire.
smile_o_32.gif

Dandelions are very promiscuous, on the other hand, because they are everywhere!.

Gus

Back