What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beginner sarracenia?

Hi all!

I'm planning on getting myself a Sarracenia or two sometime this summer.
Are there any species that are more suited for a first time Sarr grower?

The ones I've found so far are: S. Leucophylla, S. Farnhamii, and S. Mitchelliana.
All of them are really nice, but are some easier to kill off than others?

Thanks /Quensel.

You know, they're all pretty much the same in my book. I treat all my sars the same way, and the only ones I kill are the ones I forget to water (or the cat gets to....boy, he likes to eat them
mad.gif
).

Sarracenia Purpurea. That is the only CP I have ever had that so far hasn't shown any decline in health. Not even after multiple replantings, Changing of environments instantly without giving time to adjust, accidently watering with tapwater and what not. This plant seems to be imortal. The only minor problem I had was it caught a bug that chewed it's way out of one of the pitchers. None of my other plants have whetherd this well.

I think the tall ones are nicer than S. purpurea.  But your profile says you're in Stockholm, so you should probably start with S. purpurea, which is better adapted to low light.

I would hesitate to recommend purpurea. It is the one sarracenia species that I have never managed to keep alive. I've killed several. Sarracenias generally tolerate the same conditions and there is no species that is more picky than the others. The only thing I suggest is go for a fairly common variety first, so that if things don't work out it doesn't hurt so much.
blues.gif
biggrin.gif

Peter

What do S. Farnhamii and S. Mitchelliana look like? Are they species or hybrids? This is the first time I've heard of these. I thought S. Flava, S. Minor, S. Purpurea, S. rubra, S. Oreophila S. Psittiacina, S. Alata, and S. Leucophylla was all we had. Are there others species out there that I don't know about too?

I'll try to link pics, let's see if I can get the hang of this...

S. Farnhamii...
farn12cm.jpg

S. Mitchelliana...
xleu.jpg

I would assume those are cultivar or "pseudo cultivar" names.... Properly written S. 'Farnhamii' and S. 'Mitchellian' if they are registered cultivars. I've never head of them either.

Very pretty plants though. Thanks for showing them.
smile.gif

S. x mitchelliana is a hybrid (leucophylla x purpurea)
S. x farnhamii is (leucophylla x rubra)

Most of the hybrids with latin or latin-sounding names are natural hybrids that were originally thought to be species.
Both look like hybrids I'd enjoy.
smile.gif

Peter

Oh,

Thanks for the info rubrarubra and PlantAKiss.

An extra special thanks to Mannannan, those pictures are wonderful, whoever has those plants is lucky.

Yeah...I was wondering if the "Mitch" was a leuco x purp. I have one but the color is normally red rather than green.

Nice plants though fer sure!

I`d have to agree,S.purpurea is alot easyer then the others.

I find them all just as easy to look after as each other. S. leucophylla does require the highest light levels though, or the pitchers can become weak and phylodiform.

S.x mitchelliana is a cross between purpurea and leucophylla. S.x farnhamii is a specific dutch cross between S. rubra ssp.? and leucophylla. Any other hybrid between these two is usually called S.x readii, which is a bit of a confusing situation.

Go and look on theCP Photo Finder for photos of all the hybrids.

Back