Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner sarracenia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all!

I'm planning on getting myself a Sarracenia or two sometime this summer.
    Are there any species that are more suited for a first time Sarr grower?

The ones I've found so far are: S. Leucophylla, S. Farnhamii, and S. Mitchelliana.
    All of them are really nice, but are some easier to kill off than others?

Thanks /Quensel.
    Spam, sausage, spam, spam, bacon and spam, Spam, spam, sausage, spam, egg, bacon and spam, Spam spam, spam, spam, tomato and spam...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, they're all pretty much the same in my book. I treat all my sars the same way, and the only ones I kill are the ones I forget to water (or the cat gets to....boy, he likes to eat them [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] ).
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia Purpurea. That is the only CP I have ever had that so far hasn't shown any decline in health. Not even after multiple replantings, Changing of environments instantly without giving time to adjust, accidently watering with tapwater and what not. This plant seems to be imortal. The only minor problem I had was it caught a bug that chewed it's way out of one of the pitchers. None of my other plants have whetherd this well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the tall ones are nicer than S. purpurea. But your profile says you're in Stockholm, so you should probably start with S. purpurea, which is better adapted to low light.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never let them dry out. You can drown them though.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would hesitate to recommend purpurea. It is the one sarracenia species that I have never managed to keep alive. I've killed several. Sarracenias generally tolerate the same conditions and there is no species that is more picky than the others. The only thing I suggest is go for a fairly common variety first, so that if things don't work out it doesn't hurt so much. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do S. Farnhamii and S. Mitchelliana look like? Are they species or hybrids? This is the first time I've heard of these. I thought S. Flava, S. Minor, S. Purpurea, S. rubra, S. Oreophila S. Psittiacina, S. Alata, and S. Leucophylla was all we had. Are there others species out there that I don't know about too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try to link pics, let's see if I can get the hang of this...

S. Farnhamii...

S. Mitchelliana...
    Spam, sausage, spam, spam, bacon and spam, Spam, spam, sausage, spam, egg, bacon and spam, Spam spam, spam, spam, tomato and spam...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast