What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia crosses

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows of a hybrid between Sarracenia leucophylla 'Schnell's Ghost' and Sarracenia purpurea f. heterophylla?

If one exists, are there any photos?

Thanks,

Nick

If have found that hybrids like that seem rather bland (as are the parents for that matter), but that's just my opinion...
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Schnell's Ghost is a very beautiful plant. The white and green is amazing. Now, that might be due to the fact that I am red/green colorblind. Many of the red colorations in our plants look black to me. So, they are not always that wonderful color that others see, but a green/black color. I can see many reds and greens, but it sometimes gets very very hard to see all the colors that actually appear in the plant.

I think a pure white and green plant is a wonderful plant to see. When I look at the plants I have outside, the one that sticks out the most is the S. leucophylla 'Schnell's Ghost'. From the road, its the first thing one sees when they look at the plants. It just stands out and different and bold.

As for the all green S. purpurea, yes, its green and not very colorful. One thing I think we be interesting is to see a hybrid of these two plants as it would produce a plant with yellow-green flowers and one that will be all green with white mingled in with it.

These are just my opinnons. I would love to see some of the hybrids produced.

P.S. I will be working on this once I get a few of each plant to cross.

The heterophylla purpurea may not be 'colourful' as it's only one colour, but it is very nice bright green which doesn't really show up in photographs.
I have some seedlings of this crossed with a normal leucophylla, but while they look nice, they look pretty much like a normal S.x mitchelliana.
I have a green and white S.x moorei however:

Moorei.jpg

Nick, One thing people seem to forget is that Schnells Ghost is not anthocyanin free, but a genetic misfire that produces yellow flowers. And because it is not anthocyanin free, it will sometimes have a vein or three show up, sometimes under the hood, sometimes inside the tube. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen. If it were anthocyanin free, there would be no colored veining of any kind. The one on the auction has three short colored veins inside the tube. The reason for that is because it is getting 12 hours of direct sun per day, and it will show a few veins. 3 hours less light, and they will be snow white completely. The other "ghost" I have gets the same light, and has no veining at all, except the green color. I have another that is red flowered, and has absolutely no veining in the hood at all, and is as white as snow. The only vein in it is the centeral one down the middle of the hood, and it is light yellow and hardly noticeable. Leuco's can be incredibly variable in color and growing attitude. I love the colorless forms and the colored forms as they are all unique and different, even plant to plant. And Nick, if you prefer the Ghost with no color veining at all, if you win the auction, I will give you a choice between the 2 I have.

There is a true antocynanin free leucophylla about, although this looks similar to 'Schnell's Ghost'.

I didn't know it wasn't anthocyanin free as I didn't come across that tidbit in my readings these last few weeks.

Now, to find a anthocyanin free leucophylla
smile.gif

I think Dean Cook has some either for sale, or in the coming soon section. Not sure if he has a pic of it. I would imagine it looks like any mitchelliana, except it's green with white spots.

Just for the record, I have successfully crossed the purp 'luteola' and the anthocyanin free or green form of leuco last year and the seed is now germinating.. It would be good to see what comes out!

Mike, I would be interested in seeing the offspring of that cross, at your convenience, of course. And I would buy some seed, too.

Hi Steve,
Unfortunately, they have all germinated..

I could export at a later stage the plants

Back