What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia questions

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Ok I am new to Sarr's. It was inevitable that I would eventually have these as well.
I have made a bog,its small.
In the bottom layer is pine needles and then above that is sphag. peat and on top is a massive 12" of LFS. I have assumed I must use rain or RO or similar. This is actually a leftover aquarium (45gln)
?: Can I grow Sarr's in this and which ones? This is my main interest for the bog. If it would be more suitable to something else please let me know.

Joe

You can grow any sarracenia in that mix since they all like very similar conditions. A foot of LFS might be a bit too much for smaller plants though as it could overwhelm them. I would just have a thin layer for decorative effect. The roots will also need to be anchored in the peat.

If you haven't planted in it yet, it would be a good idea to trade the pine needles for gravel. Cover the gravel with pine needles or some other material to keep the peat from washing down and then put the peat and LFS back on. By installing a tube down a corner of the tank into the gravel, you'll be able to siphon out water and flush the bog out occasionally. Some people make a little well with stones, but a piece of PVC will take care of it, if less quaintly.

Back