What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The one plant i can't grow

Hi,
seems I can grow every cp genus but one. Can someone help me figure out how to grow darlingtonia? (preferably that lives in southern california so they can understand the weather condition). And I don't have a cool basement or something.
rock.gif
thanks in advance,

-droseradude

I grow mine outside in mostly shade. It is planted in a 6" white pot to keep temperatures down. I have a layer of live sphagnum on top of my mix. Slow growing for me, but they live and are getting bigger
smile.gif

I am now moving mine into the stream of the small waterfall that circulates my pond. It will be under the fairly deep shade of a plum tree. I will have to watch it closely because the water is warm, but it moving. In the dog days I will have to find a way to cool it or move it in.

i have yet to try try this method, but im sure it wil work
Put them in LFS and into a hydroponics system, but dont put any fertilizer in, just plain Pure Water. the Constant movement of the water should keep the roots cool, and you can even put in a frozen water bottle or ice cubes to cool them down on hot days.
hope that helps,
Hellz

Hi,
I"m trying not to repot it just yet, since its under shock; I just got it. Currently the plant is in the spot where my last darlingtonia did ok but died on a really hot day. Hellz- I like that idea, might have to try that. Copper- unfortunately I don't have a source of constant moving water. Larry- well its even hotter over here than where you live.
sad.gif
. Kirk- yup I've been watering it with very cold water in the mornings
smile.gif
Thanks,
Matt

Back