What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the heck did i buy

I have never had a sarracenia before.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
can anybody identify it for me. i don't have a digital camera but i'll describe it. it has long slender pitchers which are a red with a green hint on the bottom half. the flap thing on top is an almost see through red which has black veins unng thru it. (these are also on the pitchers)
Thanks,
Dillon Brandes
smile.gif

oh yeah, wut should i do with it, what are it's requirements. its pitchers seem a bit dry. could i put it in a terrarium with my vft's? how often should i feed it? how much sun does it need? thanks!!
smile_n_32.gif

It can be hard to identify one if it's a hybrid. It'll want full sun, or as close as you can get to that. But don't move it right into sun if it's been indoors. Move it to a shaded spot and gradually move it to stronger light. I'd give it 1-2 weeks to acclimate.

I keep mine in long fiber sphagnum, with lava rock (sort of like large perlite) mixed in. The pot should sit in a tray of rain, distilled, dehumidifier, or deionized water. Much more information can be found in The Savage Garden, a recent book.

Deionized water works? i thought deionized water still had chlorine in it... because the ion screening only takes out minerals and stuff like that

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ May 30 2004,2:50)]Deionized water works? i thought deionized water still had chlorine in it... because the ion screening only takes out minerals and stuff like that
You have the let the water sit over night for the chlorine to evaporate. Then it's fine ^_^

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ May 29 2004,3:50)]Deionized water works? i thought deionized water still had chlorine in it... because the ion screening only takes out minerals and stuff like that
If you deionize the water, you will get rid of chlorine too. Its very volatile...

i, thats cool
biggrin.gif
i just had some doubts but u cleared em up
i think ill stick to RO though

Back