What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window sill ceph?

if i kept a ceph under a plastic cover and left it on my windowsill, would it work?
my window sill get light from sunrise to noon, and the humidity in the container would be just right (im guessing)
any suggestions?
i really want a ceph, but have no green house, and my little terrarium is full of plants already -_-
Thanks in advanced,
Hellz

Hi

To grow a ceph, you don't need a terrarium or greenhouse. Just a pot with 2 parts perlite, 1 part coarse sand, 1 part sphagnum peat moss and 1 part LFS. Use the water tray method during summer and remove the tray in winter.

Cut a 2 litre bottle of Pepsi or Coke in half so that the bottom part of the bottle could be used as a cover for your plant (keeps humidity high). Make sure you make 2 small holes on the cover to let hot air out. Now you can put your ceph on a windowsill. 3-4 hours direct sunlight will suffice to get nice growth.

Gus
smile_m_32.gif

NICE!!!
ill order a ceph on tuesday
cephs are the coolest pitcherplants (then neps and sarrs tie 4 2nd place) but i still like them all
biggrin.gif

o, one more thing, would this same method work for brocchinia
Reducta, i want to get one also ^^

Tell me about cephs being the coolest carnivorous plants!. I love them so much, i'd sell my soul to the devil for a supergiant ceph which by the way, i am still looking for.

Regarding brocchinias, they are much more easier to grow than cephs. just make sure they have water all the time and get enough sun. Use an open mix with perlite, sand, and peat and voilaa

bigceph10.jpg

smile_k_ani_32.gif

mad.gif

Wow, that's a cool little plant if I ever saw one!

Brocchinia, you say? I've never heard of these before, where could I find out more?
smile_n_32.gif

personally I would not put a cover on a Ceph in the sun, it will cook. If it is standing in a water tray it should be humid enough

Mananan, Brocchinia Reducta is a carnivorous Bromeliad
biggrin.gif

they work kinda like sarrs, but they dont have pitchers, just slippery leaves and a pool of water in the middle.

Hi:

In regards to gardenofeden's comment. Sure they'll cook if you keep then under direct sunlight all day (6-8 hours) in summertime. I just put mine under partly sunny conditions (3-4 hours). that does the trick for me. I thought we were talking about windowsill conditions?

Gus

we are talkin bout windowsill growing...

I have a leaf cutting I took from my main plant which I'm going to try when it gets a little bigger, hopefully late this year. I do not have the guts to try my big plant in case it does not work.

Nooooo...I-WANT-A-CEPH...I'll have to order one from triffid park or collectors corner, maybe if my mum lets me...triffid park has some 5cm in diameter (THE PLANTS, not the individual pitchers)

Dangit, for now I have to sit in the fridge watching my ceph seeds stratify for the next 2 months (its two months right...)

Doh! Yeah I realize I was a bit off there lol.
The pic of the ceph there sorta seemed to belong to the bit about the brocchinia...
Now I feel kinda retarded
smile_k_ani_32.gif

You're not alone...it seems to be the norm around here!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

I grow my ceph with a plastic bottle over it-trust me,it works.I grow it on my windowsill. In fact, I grow all my plants on a windowsill.

is it true that ceph grown in lower lighting condition grow bigger, but with no red coloration?

You are right,HellzDungeon.I grow mine in shade, and I get very large, bright green pitchers. Some people grow them in shade to get large pitchers, then they move them into sunlight to get the red colourration. So they get large, red pitchers. Simple eh?

biggrin.gif

cool, never thought of it like that
yay!!! something to try

Back