What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do alot of people grow cephs?

Yep, LOADS more humidity. Just look in Peter D"amatos book to see the growing conditions. Under windowsills, he put "Very doubtful"

yea but peters section on ceph care is like three small ragraphs... LOL

But still cephs are far superior compared to heliemphoas....

Don't look now, but I think we have some Ceph pictures!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Well I wouldn't be growing my heli on the windowsill... -_-'
I'll be growing it in a terrarium in my basement so things stay cool. I'll probably end up growing a ceph with it.

I'm with Nick, I have a ceph but it can only be grown by me in a plastic baggie....
Andrew

My heliamphora grew on a windowsill just fine...

The cephalotus that I have grown for over a year now does well with humidity from 40%-60%. I have it in a 50 gallon aquarium turned on it side with 4 40watt florescent lights overhead. I am planning on moving it to a garden window next year, since it does just fine with out higher humidity.

Many months ago I bought two pots of multiple crowned cephs. They are still my most expensive CP purchase. When I first got them, one pot had a single mature pitcher. It was beautiful and it lasted a long time. Now the pots are mostly full of leaves with only a few tiny pitchers here and there. I have them growing in my kitchen windowsill. I would like to put them into a terrarium I'm setting up soon, but since I've read many times in this forum that changing a cephs growing conditions is a bad thing so I might just try one pot. I'm not really happy with the way my plants look on the windowsill so hopefully my plants will do better in a terrarium.

IMO, cephs are fairly easy to keep alive, it's harder to keep them healthy looking. I'd say Mexican Pings are the most likely CP to thrive in cultivation followed by Sundews. I've had bad luck with Bladderworts and VFT, which is weird and sad. I have not tried to grow Sarracenias, Heliamphoras, or Darlingtonias yet, but they do have the prettiest scientific names in CPdom.

My ceph is on a windowsill with white paper in front of it. This is to prevent the pitchers going small and red. It has a plastic bottle over it to maintain humidity, I spray the inside of the bottle every day. Its growing rapidly, quite unusual for a ceph.

I would love to have more discussions on Ceph...if I had one
smile_h_32.gif

Ceph are not as easy to obtain as other CP's and a lot more expensive...relatively speaking
smile_m_32.gif

Since my birthday is coming up
smile.gif
i bought a ceph from cooks as a treat for myself since i usally don't buy such expensive plants. I hope it does good.

Since we are discussing cephs. I have several pitchers that seem to be taking forever for the lids to open up. Today when I took a peek at them the one lid was open, and it's finially made a mature pitcher.

For those of you who want to see some pictures of Cephs, I finally got mine up in the topic here: In light of recent events
smile.gif
smile_n_32.gif
confused.gif

Were any of you successful at growing cephs by seed?
confused.gif

Well! I've decided to get a ceph!

After much internet trolling I realized I had a good enviroment for growing one. A temp in the low 70s, high humidity, and good light.

For a heli I'd have to find some way to create more humidity because I don't have a green house in my basement where I'd grow itand I don't want to have to buy a humidifier. So....

Yeah. I might as well see if I have what it takes to grow this awesome pitcher plant... I'd be part of some sort of "ceph club" as it seems from the enthusiasts on this thread. :p

Wish me luck!

Back