What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I got my first Heliamphora hetrodoxa x minor from the members only sale. It looked like a lot of the pitchers on the plant I got were dead, and starting to die when I got it. There was 2 healthy pitchers and 2 or 3 new pitchers starting to grow.
I potted it in a 4" pot. I used LFS, perlite, peatmoss, and lava rock for my soil mix. I placed it in my terrarium. Day time temp's high 70's to low 80's / the humidity in the high 60's. Night the temp dropped to the low 70's / humidity to the low 90's. I have 2 15 watt florescent light on for 13 hours a day. The plant looks all dry with no more visiable green growth on it, so I'm afraid it has died.
I would like to try another Heliamphora, but do my conditions I'm able to supply be good for them? What conditions does everyone else keep theres in?
Thanks

I suppose water might be the prob. Provide more water for it....

I recently bought an H. heterodoxa x minor and it is growing under similar conditions in a sunny window (70's during the day and low 70's at night, with humidity probably around 40-60%). It is in an airy soil mix with peat and a lot of perlite and a top layer of LFS.

I do not keep it in water so as not to rot the roots, and I usually water it every few days when it starts to get dry. So far it is doing great and has grown a new pitcher since I got it.

-Ben

I doubt it was water. It got watered 2 to 3 times a week. I gave it the same amount of water that I give my sundews, which is generous. I give less to the ceph.
The pitchers start drying up hours after I potted it. Just thought it was shock. All the pitchers have been brown for about a week and a half now. Still hoping a miracle will happen and I'll see a new pitcher forming.
Honestly I think it's done.
smile_h_32.gif

Mine did exactly the same thing.

Mine are doing the same thing
smile_h_32.gif
I just moved them out of the terrarium,and put them in a tray of shallow water.Maybe they will live,if they dont I'll just stick with sarrs
smile.gif

Jerry

PFT, had alot of issues with the H. heterodoxa x minor plants. I'm assuming it was/is due to the heat of the summer. I recently also had a trade go bad with a rotted heli arriving in the mail cooked to mush.

Never thought of heat in transit. Since they do not like to get to hot maybe this is the cause. I tugged on the dried up pitchers today and they came off like it was rotting. I will wait till the fall to get another, if I try again.
Thanks for the help.

Back