What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schnell's ghost

I know that it lacks red in the pitcher, and that its flowers are yellow. However,

1. Is S. leucophylla “Schnell’s Ghost” an anthocyanin-free plant?

2. Is it a cultivar, or a description of all yellow flowered, white pitchered leucophyllas?

3. If it is anthocyanin-free, then the bases of the pitchers and the cladophyls should also lack pigmentation, correct?

I ask this because there are many cases where a pitcher plant shows no coloration, however, that does not mean it is anthocyanin-free (S. flava var. maxima comes to mind).

Thanks for any clarification!

Brisco, Schnell's Ghost is not anthocyanin free. The growing points of S. leucophylla var. Schnell's Ghost are red, as are the S. flava var. maxima growing points. Schnell's Ghost also will show veining in direct, all day sun. However, the veining is very sparse, and usually confined to the interior of the pitcher. Schnell's Ghost is a genetic misfire, where the flowers lack red color, and the red coloration is noticably missing in any amount in the upper pitcher. The pitcher hood will have green veining, and be a pure, snow white color. And remember, there can be some very light red veining in the pitcher interior. I have another leucophylla that is unique, like Schnell's Ghost, but the flowers I have yet to see. The plant grows with moderate vigor. When it reached full height, and the pitcher opened and was ready for business, it resembled a Schnell's Ghost. However, the veining started out green, and as the days went by, the veining faded until it was a yellow so light colored, that it blended into the white of the hood, giving the hood the look of being veinless, and as white as the driven snow. There is red in the growing points, but the pitcher top is whiter than any Schnell's Ghost I have ever seen.

There is a separate true anthocyanin free leucophylla, but as you've said 'Schnell's Ghost' isn't the same.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know that it lacks red in the pitcher, and that its flowers are yellow. However,

1. Is S. leucophylla “Schnell’s Ghost” an anthocyanin-free plant?

2. Is it a cultivar, or a description of all yellow flowered, white pitchered leucophyllas?

3. If it is anthocyanin-free, then the bases of the pitchers and the cladophyls should also lack pigmentation, correct?

I ask this because there are many cases where a pitcher plant shows no coloration, however, that does not mean it is anthocyanin-free (S. flava var. maxima comes to mind).

Thanks for any clarification!

1: No, just like the others has said!

2: It is a cultivar description of all yellow flowered leucos, though I disagree with this. The 'original' Schnell's Ghost is a very destinctive plant and the other plants to me seem to be alata/leucophylla introgressed hybrids.

3 The anthocyanin free forms of leucophylla are pure green with yellow flowers, but I would not classify these plants as 'Schnell's Ghost' but as leucophylla green.

Back