User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found a sarracenia at the grocery store!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that would be my loveable mutt Auggie!

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, cute doggy! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    That looks like Sarracenia x cataesbai.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is S.catesbaei. I have one which looks exactly alike. Think its a cross between leucophylla and purpurea, hence the mix of red and yellow colour on the flowers. That's where I found its identity, some sarr crosses are crazy...S. oreophilia x minor xpurpurea x rubra x leucophylla..........

I should think the grocery people would have thought that it looked like a cobra lily. Don't know much about cps do they... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] Well if it 'looks' like a cobra lily then my guess would be a S.psittacina at that, this one looks similar to a cobra except fort he 'tongue'. How could they get it do wrong, catesbaei and darlingtonia look so different... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The store is offering 2 different sarracenia for a very low price. The plants are marked "cobra lily". The plants are grown by a large wholesaler in Northern California. The 2 offered are Scarlett Belle and Judith Hindle. They're potted up and sitting in a tin bucket. They also have 3 or 4 different large nepenthes for the same cheap price. I did see at one location the scarlett belle planted in a glass vase but it was more than twice the price than the tin bucket version.

The judith hindle I bought is quite nice - pitchers are about 8 - 10" and great coloring.

Details not given in respect to PFT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PDX,

You are correct. I found them at my local grocery store yesterday. Really nice specimens.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a little digging. This here is the company that sells the nepenthes and "cobra lillies" I believe they just call them that because the name sounds cooler and they figure the average consumer won't know the difference between a Sarracennia and a Darlingtonia. Thanks for identifying it though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops forgot the address. anyway their website is www.bloomrite.com however they don't seem to have any CP's listed on their website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stopped at the Meijers store in my area today and found the same misidentified "Cobra Lilly". It's actually a Scarlet Bell hybrid. It's a shame, there was an entired flat that had been kept indoors at the bottom level of the shelving. In addition to the very poor lighting they were being watered with chlorinated city water. I went though the flat and found one specimen that looked like it might still have a chance and rescued it. It drives me crazy to see such beautiful plants mistreated by store clerks that have no clue whatsoever how to care for them. There was also several nice sized neps on the shelves as well. Virtually all of the cups were withered though. These stores might actually sell some of these plants and earn a profit if they would just supply the department clerk with a basic growing guide. The situation at the Lowes store across the way was even worse. There was at least two dozen mini terrariums containing dead or near dead VFTs, S.rubra and D.adelae. WHAT A WASTE!!!!
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast