What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found a sarracenia at the grocery store!

PDX,

You are correct. I found them at my local grocery store yesterday. Really nice specimens.

Joe

I did a little digging. This here is the company that sells the nepenthes and "cobra lillies" I believe they just call them that because the name sounds cooler and they figure the average consumer won't know the difference between a Sarracennia and a Darlingtonia. Thanks for identifying it though

Whoops forgot the address. anyway their website is www.bloomrite.com however they don't seem to have any CP's listed on their website

I stopped at the Meijers store in my area today and found the same misidentified "Cobra Lilly". It's actually a Scarlet Bell hybrid. It's a shame, there was an entired flat that had been kept indoors at the bottom level of the shelving. In addition to the very poor lighting they were being watered with chlorinated city water. I went though the flat and found one specimen that looked like it might still have a chance and rescued it. It drives me crazy to see such beautiful plants mistreated by store clerks that have no clue whatsoever how to care for them. There was also several nice sized neps on the shelves as well. Virtually all of the cups were withered though. These stores might actually sell some of these plants and earn a profit if they would just supply the department clerk with a basic growing guide. The situation at the Lowes store across the way was even worse. There was at least two dozen mini terrariums containing dead or near dead VFTs, S.rubra and D.adelae. WHAT A WASTE!!!!

I don't understand why everyone here is so uptight about the non-scientific name used on a plant in a store.  The variability of common names and the ability of anyone to call a plant anything they want is why we use scientific names.

It would have been stupid and inaccurate to label the plant as "Darlingtonia" when it is a Sarracenia, but to call it "cobra lily" guarantees nothing!  That common name is usually used for Darlingtonia, but it isn't set in stone anywhere.  The name is useless, anyway, as they aren't related to lilies at all.

The Nature Conservancy has S. alata labeled at the Abita Creek preserve as "Yellow Pitcherplant."  This is normally the name for S. flava, "Pale Pitcherplant" being used for S. alata, but it doesn't really matter or bother me.  This is precisely why scientific names are so valuble and useful.

If the name "cobra lily" were absolutely Darlingtonia, we would have no need to use the scientific name.  This thread's whole argument seems dumb to me.

On another note, I do have to say that I saw the same trio terrariums at my Lowe's, and I, too, thought they were very sad. The rubra was labeled as S. purpurea (this DOES bother me, as it is scientifically innacurate), and D. adelae will not be happy in the same conditions as the two temperate species.

ptfreelander,
true for species, not so true for hybrids and cultivars. For named hybrids and cultivars, there is only the published common name. So 'x Scarlet Belle' should only be used in reference to that plant, unless you want to go throught the rigors of writing out the full name of BOTH of the parents.

I walked into Krogers last night to get some distilled water, and dog food. Much to my surprise I saw a large shelf filled with mixed pots of CPs. I got two 4" pots. One with a VFT, and what looks to be a 'Judith Hindle', and the other had three D. Adelae, and what I assume is a 'Scarlett bell' The tags were both for sundews even though one pot didn't even contain a Drosera. Those suckers were kinda expensive so I'll just wait a couple weeks. They should be on the brink of extinction be then, and on sale
smile.gif

schloaty -

Cultivar names are not common names. They are officially registered names for specific plants.

Back