Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: S. rubra jonesii seed production

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have a pair of S. rubra jonesii in my bog. They both bloomed this spring and so I got to cross pollinate them. That was the first week in May.

Yesterday, I was looking around the bog and noticed that one of the 3 flowers looked brown and dry, so I cut it off. The seed capsule had either already split or did so when I touched it, but in any case, it was full of seeds.

The seeds look fully formed and are the right color. Is it possible for pollination-to-seed time to be only 2 months? I guess time will tell, when I see if any grow or not.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and were the seeds viable or not? Which species?
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too had some seed heads ripen early. I am going ahead and cold stratifing them and sowing them like I would any other seeds. I will be bringing my seedlings in a greenhouse for the winter so I will start them in August. Mine were from a complex cross of (alata X leuco) X alata "red black."
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, good to know someone else (especially in Atlanta) had the same thing happen.

I did go ahead and plant/stratify mine like I've done with other seeds. They'll just grow under lights anyway, so the time of year doesn't matter.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -