Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S. oreophila dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My oreophila didn't get enough water and is making phylodia now. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Uh... my email is captainalan@gmail.com
    Disney is trying to take over the world. They have castles all around the globe. Kids like Mickey mouse more than our president, soon he will rise to power!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't avoid the phyllodia by giving it water. The dormancy is programmed into its genes.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is intersting (to me anyways) is that my oreophila, last year in virginia, were making phyllodia by this time. this year, in WI, i have yet to see any. perhaps temperature plays a role. it has been an unusually cool summer in northern WI, not to mention a cold, wet spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is interesting. Maybe it has more to do with temperature and photoperiod than it does with water.

Not that logical conclusions can be drawn from the photoperiod, since WI is at a higher latitude. But in any case, when you move a plant from it's normal habitat, it gets confused.

- Patrick
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An alternative idea is that is has a specific amount of time to grow after breaking dormancy, like VFTs from seed "know" that their first season will be short.

When did your oreo break dormancy?
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything broke pretty early in Virginia Beach. I'd say flowers were starting to shoot up from most plants by the end of march. we moved to WI in mid-april, and it was like everything went into standby mode until late may. in fact, some of my s. rubra's, a rubra x minor, and a 'Bug Pipes' are still flowering right now. i'm positive the cold spring in WI caused the flowering delay. also, some flowers just stopped growing altogether. i picked several last week that stopped growing at about 4 inches in height. i opened them up and saw that everything looked normal, except the petals were brown. not sure what that means. anyway, it's been an interesting year so far. i hope the plants don't get too screwed up from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I didn't realize the move was this year. I'd be interested in seeing when the oreos break dormancy and then when they go dormant again next year. Perhaps it will be for the same time period but at a later time.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my Oreo. is actually still sending up new pitchers here in Oregon. It's been mighty warm and I thought they'd be heading downhill for the year but it's not done yet!

The plant has probably three growth points and the smallest one is starting to dry up but the 2 large ones both have new pitchers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12