What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora

A question to anyone who has found success with Heliamphora -

Do you provide them with insects?  If so, what kinds?  And, do you fertilize them with chemicals (foliarly or otherwise) as suggested by some sources?

- Patrick

From what I know, chemicals: big no-no fro cps. But you could always try with the dilutest of the dilute...
smile_n_32.gif

Adding fertilizer foliarly to a Heliamphora (Or most CPs for that matter) can be beneficial. However it's easy to over-do it with disastrous results.

So I would only try it when:
A: you know what you're doing. and
B: the plant isn't in stress already.
smile.gif

Good luck.

Okay, I'll avoid the foliar feeding.

So, people who keep Helies, what do you do for insects?

i've heard of people putting blood meal in the pitchers.

Hi all:

I either add a few drops of non-fat milk in the pitchers once every 2-3 months or one osmocote pellet per pitcher. My plants are very happy with it.

Gus

i feed my heliamphora minor fireflies.  if you have loose soil or a loose top dressing, you can watch the final blinks of this midnight flyer.

actually, i feed all my pitcher plants(heliamphora, cephalotus, nepenthes, sarracenia) fireflies. they seem to react quite well to them. ever seen a cephalotus put out a pitcher and open in five days? i have.

I put freeze-dried blood worms in the pithers. Just a few per week at most. No negative results have been noticed. The plants are doing very well.

-Homer

I know one successful grower who fertilizes hers every two weeks with dilute fertilizer(I think it was Epiphyte's Delight). Anyway she alternates these two times with in the pitchers, and spraying the soil. Gets good results with that.
I have a friend in Liverpool that does nothing and gets good results, lol. I think his conditions are perfect.
I guess I would start off slowly and see what effects you have. At some point, you should be able to start separating plants and then you can try different things with those to perfect something attuned to your growing conditions.

Cheers,

Joe

Dried bloodworms are sold as fish food and they can be pulverized real easily.

Joe

Back